Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inconsistent significant slowdown of my whole system

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eights

Eights

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:41 AM

Starting about a week ago, my computer will run just fine for maybe 20 seconds, then the responsiveness in typing, scrolling, frame rate, etc. will either slow down significantly or stop for 5 or 10 seconds, and the cycle continues. This happens regardless of what i'm doing, but is much more noticeable during videos and games. Whenever I try and watch any video, online or off, or try to play any type of game the frame rate will at times drop to only one or two a second if I had to guess. Videos and games are just about unwatchable and unplayable. Even when i'm not watching or playing anything, and I'm just typing text, such as this post, every 30 seconds or so, every letter I hit on my keyboard takes like a second to appear on screen. Then after a few more seconds it's back to normal

I realize there isn't much detail in my post but if anyone can tell me what other information would be useful, and how to get it I'll do my best to add it.

I use windows XP on an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop and have done a full scan with symantec finding nothing seeming to be related.

I've also watched the CPU and Mem Usage of processes in the task manager and haven't noticed any significant changes when the lag happens

Thanks, Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:18 AM

Does this only happen when you are doing things on-line, or does it also happen when you are using, for example, a word processor or playing a game from a disk in your computer that does not involve an internet connexion?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

You might also check Event Viewer for possible clues to situations on your system which merit attention, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users