Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant boot up at all! please help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jesse Pattinson

jesse Pattinson

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:38 PM

If anyone can help me thankyou in advance. I have a PC running XP home edition and i cant start it up. I have had alot of issues with it lately. there seems to be something wrong with the video card. I am always seeming to be fixing something on it. Mainly the thing that has happened now is that it will not start up. Not even in safe mode. I suspect it is a virus. I kept getting popups on my web browser and then one day when i started it up after it crashed during an installation i got a error message every time i opened up a new program (including when i booted up the computer) saying " <name of file> is not a valid windows disk image. check this against your windows installation diskette." i ran virus scans but it never seemed to be able to fully get rid of it, only tone it down for a little while. And the error messages never stopped. i left it on one night when i went out and came back and it seemed to have turned off and would not get past the windows boot screen after that. I have tried starting it in safe mode and it wont work. it will just crash after loading for a while. I have had alot of issues with the video card as well. It was over heating at one point i think. i get lines shooting from things when i play 3d games alot. I have also noticed there are alot of little pixel dots on the screen which is probably to do with that too. I took the side off my computer so it was more ventilated and that seemed to help for a while. All in all a sick computer and mainly i just really want to avoid having to reformat at all costs because i have heaps of valuable information on the computer. Is there anything anyone can suggest to at least regain a bit of functionality, if not all? pleaaassee! thanks. jesse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:03 AM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users