Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Account Unknown in security tab?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Toxicity3440

Toxicity3440

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

I reformatted this computer recently and backed it up using the special HP backup program in the BIOS. Anyway I just noticed that alot of the files have a new icon next to them that i don't recognize... it looks like this:
Posted Image

and when I right click it > Properties > Security i see this:
Posted Image

Any ideas what this "Account Unknown" thing is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:48 PM

The S-1-5-21-... is known as a "security identifier" or SID. This is an internal identifier of User Accounts. You are seeing this because there are still remnants of the old account still in the Registry. You will be better to create a new account, and secure the proper privileges. This ID will stick in there, and will not be removed. The Windows System does not go through and delete all the information as the account is deleted. The system can no longer access the SID, because the Account no longer exists.

:huh: The REASON for this issue is that the SYSTEM was not able to connect to a domain controller to help delete the proper information.

:huh: The RESOLUTION for this issue is to leave the SID alone and Set up a new account and enable the proper permissions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users