Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To upgrade or not

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:39 PM

I hope to not be long winded but here it is;
I have a really old, by many standards, PC. I am looking at new AGP vid cards thinking Wow thats cool. Some have alot of potential. But the CPU I have is a bottleneck, I don't have enough ram, and my newish PSU has a 22amp on 12v. I would ques, many other short comings as well, that my eager to learn mind doesn't have clue about. Unfortunately I am eager to game as well. I have 3 Side winder dual strike controllers, 1 PS2 type Logitec , Sidewinder peddal & wheel(force feed back). sound blaster surround. On and on. So I aspire to play at any rate.

The cost of a new GPU at local shops is around 130usd to, well you know 200+(if they have AGP). So I called around alittle, and a gent says( after quoting specs and such on available cards, 7800, no ATi ) That he has a combo deal (Mobo,CPU,1gig ram,,,,) mini ATX that would run less than my card, and would have xxxx. I know the variables of acceptance are different for all, but the upgrade to PCIe, Sempron, and all got me thinking about the notion.

The mini axt he mentioned, had on board GPU that he said would be close to the 7800s ability and integrated USB,sound and all but only 1xPCIe,2xPCI , so the one he mentions may be to restrictive, considering future up fitting needs(SLI). But then again it might make a good base for a mid level dedicated gaming unit.

Is it possible that this would be a way to move forward or is going with a single core supplied on board GPU, just a stop gap for someone looking to most likely continue probing at gaming. :thumbsup:

Do you know of a good starting or launch pad(board combo deal) of sorts that a guy might consider instead of an AGP upgrade. Not to cost prohibitive.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:04 AM

First off, it's not really that long winded.... Second, if you have a mid or full tower case, avoid the mini ATX motherboards especially for gaming. They will heat up faster. Next, avoid integrated graphics, they are never as good as a discrete card. I strongly suggest starting with a clean slate a getting a new mobo, RAM, CPU, and GPU. Note that this will cost some money given the number of parts that need upgraded.

AMD Dual Core
Combo: Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.1Ghz Processor + BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX - This is a decent combo with an older dual core processor at a good speed. $155

RAM: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 - Using more memory than 4GB will require a 64-bit OS. $47

AMD Quad Core
Combo: AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz + BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX - This uses the same motherboard and RAM as the dual core but the combo includes a multiplier unlocked Black Edition quad core processor for easy overclocking. $227

Note that the motherboard used in the AMD setups above uses Crossfire not SLI.

AMD SLI Capable non-combo
Motherboard: ASUS M3N72-D AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - A solid motherboard, remember, you do pay more for an SLI capable motherboard. Comes with an on-board GeForce 8 graphics card. $129

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz Black Edition - This is one of AMD's newer dual core processors at a fast speed. $79

RAM: You can use the same RAM from the other AMD setups.

Video Cards - You can blow all your budget on this so I will include several suggestions.
SPARKLE SXX260896D3S-HP GeForce GTX 260 896MB - I won't include the super-expensive cards, but this is still a powerful card. $239
Galaxy 98TFF6HUUEXX GeForce 9800 GT - This in SLI mode is would make a good choice, but it would cost about the same as the 260 and have almost equal performance. $124
SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 - If you want to go with ATI and use Crossfire, this would be a good choice. Though, the X2 version of this would be equivalent to a Crossfired HD 4870. $199
SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB - A little less powerful than the 4870 but there is also an X2 version of this card with is basically a Crossfired 4850. $154

3939.png

#3 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

A huge thanks for your response. I ventured off and found some things that delayed my reading this thread for acouple days. Since my orig. post I found a Mobo that inspired my interest locally. If you could take a look at the thread I started related to it I would surely take heed of your advice related to Its acquisition. The shipping to Alaska gets to be a bit spendy, but I may be able to find a vendor that will charge a reasonable up front rate.
The specs on the Epox AF590 SLI2 board
Socket AM2

Chipset:
NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI

Processor:
AMD Athlon64, Athlon64-FX, Athlon64-X2, Sempron

Max FSB:
2.0 GTs HT FSB

Memory:
4X DDR2 533/667/800 Dual Channel

AGP/VGA Slot:
Dual PCI-E x16 SLI

PCI Slot:
2x PCI, 2x PCI-E x1

IDE:
2 (1 by 570MCP, 1 by JMB363)

SATA:
8 (6 by 570MCP, 2 by JMB363), RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5

USB:
10 (4 Rear, 6 by Pin Header) USB 2.0

Network:
Dual GigaLAN

Audio:
Realtek ALC883 8-CH HD audio with SPDIF

SPDIF:
Yes

BIOS:
Award/Phoenix BIOS v6.0

Power BIOS:
Yes

LED Debug:
P80P LED Debug Display

Size:
ATX (305mm x 245mm)

Accessories:
IDE/Floppy Cables, SATA Data/Power Cables, I/O Shield, CD Driver, Manual
Price ; 199.00 After talking out of 269.00 shelf price. Still seems high. 169.00 is the last price listed at the EPOX store online.

The board manufacturer is out of bussines, but does that make it a bad find? In another thread, a Bad Capacitor issue was brought up. Do you know of this situation? I googled the board and didn't find a heads up on that there (within the first three related results pages anyway).
Again, Thanks for your intrest.

Edited by PCwarrior, 21 January 2009 - 07:10 PM.

(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#4 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:20 PM

You mention crossfire not SLI. I need to read up on this. Ive heard of both as good for gaming compaired to say ,, my system LoL. But whats the better of the two?

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

Personally, I would not buy from a defunct hardware manufacturer. You won't get any updates and the warranty is unclear. That motherboard you chose is of an older nForce 500 chipset. Normally, that is not much of an issue, but future upgrades might be a problem. Check Newegg's shipping prices to Alaska, if you get more powerful hardware of good quality from Newegg, it might be worth the expense. Especially if you plan on keeping the PC for several years. Crossfire and SLI are essentially the same thing, they combine two or more GPU's together increasing graphical horsepower. Crossfire does this with ATI and NVidia does it with SLI. I use two 9800 GTX's in SLI. Not all games benefit from doing this, however. If the game supports the technology, it will get a significant speed boost.

3939.png

#6 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:49 PM

Fantastic info. I would probably have the build for many many years. I still have a 12yr old 400mhz gate way that the 8yr old plays on. This (free from a buddy micron) unit is a 99 or 2000(4yrs mine) and is just getting to me. As you might imagine lol.
I won't go for the local board( at least the EPOX ), by your recommendation. Even 90usd would seem high after looking at your suggested links.
I will have to do some serious reading and convince my generally very supportive other half before I jump, but cost (not buying parts here in AK)) don't look to awful high.
I did notice that newegg didn't raise shipping cost in a multiple item order I shot across the cart. So, maybe getting it all together in a few orders would keep shipping bearable.

Just down from work a PC shop has a Tt (ther-take) 1200w psu for 625.00usd. Is that out of this world high$ or is it me?

You have been a great help, Many thanks. Don

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

The price for a Thermaltake 1200W PSU is.....$400, I usually buy my power supplies from Corsair or Silverstone.

3939.png

#8 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

Yep. 650.00 for the Tt 1200w locally is nuts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users