Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator Account error messages

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lambovt007

lambovt007

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

Hi.
I just have a small problem. I use XP with Administrator's account. There aren't any other accounts and guest one is turned off. Sometimes like when I got to msconfig, and change something, it says I need to log in as administrator to make changes, yet changes can still be made. Also I clicked to remove adobe flash from Add/Remove Program list. Pop up came up sayin I need to log in as Admin to do any changes, yet after clicking ok, it still removed program. I don't think I have any viruses. So, any help appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:22 PM

Have you actually performed a virus scan just to make sure you're not infected? If not, I would recommend MalwareBytes and AVG to start. Run full scans of each and see if anything turns up. Make sure you have the latest virus definitions for both. If nothing is found, we'll try something else.

-Nelson
-Nelson

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

Do you have an HP printer? What you describe happening in msconfig is known to occur when someone does have an HP printer installed.

#4 lambovt007

lambovt007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

No viruses. Scanned with Avast, ZoneAlarm, MalwareBytes, AVG, Spybot, Norton. No HP Printer too. I do have Longhorn Transformation Pack, which changes the design of GUI, however I have it on laptop with XP and that one works fine.

Thanks for help.

#5 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

Create a new account as an administrator with a different name and see if the problem persists. If everything looks good, use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in the old profile and then again in the new profile to transfer your docs and settings over. Then delete the old profile. Good luck.
-Nelson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users