Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KAV now updates hourly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:31 AM

Kaspersky Labs has gone from updating its virus defintions and databases from every three hours to every hour.
http://www.kaspersky.com/news?id=151371080

The interesting part of the article (I received as a newsletter or bulletin) are the statistics on the explosion in growth of viral threats:

Over the last five years, the number of malicious programs which Kaspersky Anti-Virus databases detect has increased almost 80
times. This is due to the fact that up to several hundred new viruses
appear every day. In 2000, 63 updates were released; in 2001 - 205; in
2002 - 652; in 2003 - 818; and this year more than 1500 antivirus
database updates have already been released. Kaspersky Labs virus
analysts estimate that by the end of 2004 at least 5000 scheduled
updates will be released.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:02 AM

:thumbsup: Hey Papkid! So every hour! Do they think that etreme? I think once a day is find heck I only do mine every week. And unless I purposly or am dumb about surfing and downloading things will not get hit with a virus Every hour has to be a major pain in the butt for the end user!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:10 AM

Considering the number of problems the average user seems to have with viruses and trojans, and assuming the average users actually update their AV definitions, the shorter the time between virus discovery and the user receiving the fix, the better for all of us who are more careful about our habits. Hourly updates do seem a bit much though.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 13 August 2004 - 01:37 PM

It just means that when you do do it (update yours that is) you will get the latest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users