Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS Update Failure?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JCWild64

JCWild64

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

Hello, all, my question is on BIOS so I hope Im in the right place. My system is Gigabyte Ga-K8NS Ultra-939; Athlon64 X2 3800; 2GB G-Skill PC3200; 2 50GB PATA Drives. A bit long inthe tooth, I know. recently installed the X2 CPU and the BIOS only recognized 1 core. I updated the BIOS from F5 to what thiughe was F7 to recognize dual core but it turned out to be F11k. Now upon bootup the system POSTs and recognizes all the hardware but hangs at that point. It also says "CMOS checksum Error- Defaults loaded" but does nothing after that. It gives the option to press "F1 to continue" but goes to a black screen with only a flashing prompt and no activity. Also it offers to press "DEL for BIOS Setup" but that does nothing either. Icant even enter Q-Flash by pressing "End" during boot up. I guess Id like to know if my BIOS are bad even though It POSTs and gives the splash screen w/ all hardware present, and if so can I reflash to F5 or F7 to find sme working state?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

Refer To your owners manual and try clearing the Cmos by by shorting the Cmos clear jumper. Try that and see if it helps. If it doesn't you may have damaged the bios. There are others with more bios flashing exp that may chime in.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 JCWild64

JCWild64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

Thanx, Sneaky, I did fail to mention that I did the clear cmos procedure to no avail. Also, the BIOS F11k is actually the latest version for my MoBo but I did not want to upgrade from F5 to F11, thought it was too big a jump. In any event its just a huge paper weight now!

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

Wait for others to chime in there may be other options.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users