Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need an opinion

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jpm1363

jpm1363

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble with my wireless router. It is a Netgear Rangemax WPN824. It is only 6months old and I am already having problems with it. It will randomly loose the connection several times throughout the day, thus causing me to have to reboot ...............which is becoming very annoying :thumbsup: The irony of this is, is that this is the 2nd Netgear Rangemax in less than 2yrs that this has occurred. I stopped by Best Buy and discussed it with the Geek Squad and wouldn't you know .....there was another person returning their router because they were having the same problem.

Needless to say, I am going to replace my wireless router and was hoping that somebody could offer up a recommendation for a reliable router. I currently have my 2 desktop computers and my laptop on the network.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

Wireless routers are my weak link. I have had Linksys, Buffalo, D-Link and all failed after 12-18 months. I am currently making the circle and am back with a WRT54GL with Tomato.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:45 PM

How far apart are the computers from the router? Distance and obstacles can degrade the signal greatly (walls, wires, metal pipes, heating ducts). If your computer losses its signal you can go into your network connections disable the wireless and re-enable it. This should renew the IP address. You can also go to the command prompt and type Ipconfig /relase then Ipconfig /renew. You may also wan't to try upgradding to a Draft-N router they have greater range and bandwidth. The type of adapter installed in the computer can limit its functionality as well. One with a wired antennae is better than one that has the antennae that attaches directly to the card.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:34 PM

Sneakycyber, thank you for the suggestions. It seems as though renewing my IP address has fixed the problem for the time being. I have not lost connection since doing so.

Thank you for you help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users