Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleteing Windows 98, how to really find out what is on computer!

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 lindaga35

lindaga35

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

i got my computer from my mother in law and i really need more memory. but i really have no clue as how to go about doing this.

i need to down load mcafee and it keeps saying i dont have enough. and install a printer.

my computer is really slow, i have scanned and im free of any viris and malware as of right now. can anyone help??

thanks,
Lindaga35 :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

Rather than McAfee you should consider Avast as it uses less resources and is free.

http://www.avast.com/eng/free_virus_protectio.html
For a computer running WindowsŪ 95/98/Me:
486 Processor, 32MB RAM and 100MB of free hard disk space.

If you are considering buying and installing more memory, Crucial will tell you what is on your computer and advise you as
to what and the maximum amount of memory your computer will support.

If you want Crucial to scan your computer use this link.
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

If you know the manufacturer and model of your computer just enter the specs in this link.
http://www.crucial.com/store/drammemory.aspx

Getting the right drivers/software for a new printer to use on your computer will be a big consideration before purchasing
a printer.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:50 PM

im running xp now, does that matter. i forgot to tell ya that. im so sorry.

Linda

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

So you have an old computer that did have 98 and installed XP. Is that correct?
If that is what you did, that explains why your computer is slooow.

XP needs 250mb of memory at the very least and really doesn't come alive until at least 500mb.

You can still use the links in my first post and I would still advise to get Avast.

Just guessing, you likely have either 64mb or 128mb of memory.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

yes it did have 98, i installed xp about a 2monts ago or so.

how do i get rid of the 98?

thanks so much,
Linda

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

Usually when installing a new OS, Windows will format the entire drive. So 98 would not be on the drive anymore.
Did you partition and install a dual boot with XP and 98? Can you boot into 98?

#7 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

honestly i have no clue. im sorry. when it boots up it goes into xp. how can i find out?

Linda

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:44 PM

You can take a look and see the partitions. Here is a link on how to do that with XP. It also explains how to remove the 98 partition if it exists. I take it you did not actually do the install yourself?
http://www.rdweb.co.uk/removing_partition_...ing_windows_xp/

#9 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:59 PM

no i did do it myself. but i only put the disk in and i thought it done the rest. im sorry im not that computer smart. but i do feel like im learning.

i will check the link out. thanks so much.

Linda

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

Here is a link to a program you will find many uses for. It will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about your
computer. http://www.gtopala.com/

After you download the program, open it and on the left side you will see an index. Scroll down to the hardware category and click on the storage devices. That will open list your Harddrive, CD Rom, Floppy Drive, etc. Click on the Harddrive to open and see what size drive you have. What is the size? 10GB? 20GB?
Once you know the drive size go to start, my computer and mouse over the C drive. What is the total size?

#11 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:52 PM

how much RAM do you have Linda ?

#12 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

i really dont know, someone is helping me on the malware forum also. he has helped my computer to get clean.

how do i find out?

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

If someone is helping Linda on the Malware forum as well I suggest we let this post be until that is resolved first.

We do not want to get side tracted on her issues
In the beginning there was the command line.

#14 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

ok, i will finish up with my other topic first. that does make sense.

thanks,
Linda

#15 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:21 PM

Welcome to BP Linda.

how much RAM do you have Linda ?

i really dont know, someone is helping me on the malware forum also. he has helped my computer to get clean.

how do i find out?

Well this seems like a confusing topic. Its posted in a Win9x/ME forum but now you talking you put WinXP on 2 weeks ago.

Anyway when your computer does eventually startup and you can see your desktop, right-click on My Computer and select properties at the bottom. On the next screen it will tell you your operating system. Then who its registered to and the computer info at the bottom with CPU and RAM, see what it says. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users