Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start-up Loop?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Rob81

Rob81

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

Hello I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I am having. I have a Gateway MX3563 Laptop with Windows XP Home on it. Recently my battery stopped charging so I removed the battery and was running my laptop on the charger only(AC Power Adapter). I noticed lately that if I wiggled the end of the charger where it plugs into the computer I would loose power and my laptop would shut off. I happened to be turning on the laptop and while it was booting I moved and the laptop shut off. I attempted to boot the computer again and once again as it was loading up I must have moved the plug end again and I lost power so the laptop shut off again. I was pissed so today I purchased a new plug end and repaired the end of the charger. But now when I start up the computer it turns on like its going to load up but takes me to the configuration screen where I can choose to start in "safe mode" "safe mode with networking" "safe mode with command promp" "last known" ect ect. When I select any of the options it attempts to start up but loops and brings me right back to the same screen regardless of which option I choose. I can enter the BIOS but thats it. I have the gateway recovery disk but that doesnt give me an option to repair any files only to reformat my hard drive. Is there ANY WAY I could fix this without reformating and loosing my files.
Thanks
Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

There's a sticky on the first page about fixing boot problems with XP. Basically you need to get a Windows XP cd, boot to it, and choose the Recovery Console. From there just pick your XP installation when it asks you and run "chkdsk /r", let it finish and type "exit" to reboot and you should be good to go. Good luck.

Nelson
-Nelson

#3 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Ok I did what you said and I ran CHKDSK when I typed CHKDSK/R it didnt work but regardless the CHKDSK did its thing and the computer now loads (thanks a MILLION :thumbsup:) up to my desktop and everything works the problem is it loads up very very slow. It does everything like usual but during boot up I get a black screen with white bars that have to load up which takes awhile??? Any idea??

#4 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

It's very possible that you still have bad sectors on your disk and Windows is trying to work around them. You have to make sure that you put a space between chkdsk and /r. The /r part means repair bad sectors and is necessary for optimal hard disk performance. In my experience bad sectors tend to spread if they go unattended, not sure if there is any truth in that or I just have bad luck. Oh, and you're welcome. Glad I could help!

Nelson

Edited by I.T. Works, 19 January 2009 - 09:08 PM.

-Nelson

#5 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:41 PM

Ok so I properly ran the CHKDSK now by adding the space that I was leaving out. It took the computer quite awhile to perform this task but completed 100%. But it still loads up slow for some reason. The problem occurs between the gateway screen where I can select the BIOS settings and the Windows XP screen with the movving blue bar I still get an all black screen with the white bars at the bottom that takes awhile to load up. The bars and screen look identical to those on the screen when you start the computer in safemode????

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

Can you now normally boot into safe mode, without the delay?

If so, that would indicate (IMO) a driver problem at boot when you attempt to boot normally.

Louis

#7 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:08 AM

I can boot into safe mode but I get the same delay if not longer. Instead of having the black screen with the bars going accross I get a screen displaying a whole bunch of writing that takes long to load eg: C:/WINDOWS/DRIVERS/SYSTEM32.dbdjsksk (thats not what it says just an example)

#8 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

Should I try fixboot or fixmbr???? Anyone????

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

Well...it might actually be more enlightening if you post exactly what the error message states when you are in safe mode.

It just might help determine what the problem might be.

Louis

#10 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

Yes I agree it would be more "enlightening " if there was an error msg!! There is no error msg it just shows a black screen and a whole bunch of files when the files are done loading it opens the windows page with the blue bar going accross then my desktop loads up. Even when I load the computer normally I dont get any error msg it just loads slow like I previously said. :thumbsup:

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

OK...in order to run fixmbr or fixboot, you need to download the Recovery Console .iso file via the following link: Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

The file you download will be in .iso format and will need to be transformed to a bootable CD.

This is done by using an .iso-burning program, the one I use is Active@ ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm

Once you burn the .iso to a CD, it will be bootable. Change the 1st boot option in the BIOS...save the changes and insert the CD before your system starts to boot again. Once the system boots to the CD, you will have access to the Recovery Console.

Once in the RC, your XP install will be reflected as 1 when it lists installs noted. Type 1 on the 1st prompt for whichever XP install you intend to repair...then just hit Enter when prompted for password. On the next prompt, type fixmbr, hit Enter. If you get a warning about non-standard MBR, ignore it.

To run the fixboot command, you can just run that after the fixmbr command completes. Or you can see if the fixmbr command provided any relief by typing Exit and the system will reboot. You can remove the CD before it reboots, you can change the BIOS boot prompt if you so desire...or you can wait to see if the effort was efffective and your system now boots into XP properly.

Louis

#12 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:50 PM

I had made that cd at the starting of this thread so I could run the CHKDSK which did fix my computer and enabled my computer to start up. I ran the fixboot and fixmbr off of the same cd it completed both of those tasks but its still doing the same thing. I still get the black screen with the white bars loading up slowly hmmmm maybe I should just reformat!!

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

Well...I try to go with the less-intrusive (repair install) before going with a reformat/clean install. Clean installs are sure, but a last resort for me.

I realize now that the black screen you previously referred are the boot files trying to load. Since that seems to complete, I am really stumped.

Do you have any USB devices attached to your system right now? Make any hardware changes shortly before this problem began?

If you don't have the system connected directly to a socket, I suggest trying that and see if it makes a difference.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 January 2009 - 04:36 PM.

#14 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:47 PM

How can I do a less-intrusive (repair install)???? Ummm no nothing is connected to the laptop and I didnt make any hardware changes whatsoever all that happened was I turned on the laptop and it lost power so it shut down by accident during start up ever since then I ran into these problems. Yes thats exactly what the screen is I am seeing the boot files trying to load unfotunatly they load very very slow. I dont want to reformat cause then the computer will win I would rather fix this somehow!!!..lol...

#15 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

What is your current XP version? Do you have XP with SP2 installed? I know that SP2 does display those white bars at the bottom for a few seconds to a minute depending on the speed of your computer. Other times that bar will show up when XP is not shut down properly. You could try shutting completely down, not a restart, and then turn the computer back on and let XP load completely. If the problem continues, right click on My Computer on your desktop and choose Properties. Then choose the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager. Let us know if there is anything in there with a yellow or red icon. You don't have to check each thing, it will stand out from the rest.

Make sure that you have downloaded and installed XP SP3 and all your hardware drivers are up to date. Most importantly your video card drivers.
-Nelson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users