Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What the different between Linux and Unix?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sonic_8400

sonic_8400

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

My cousin was ask this question at his job interview "What the different between Linux and Unix?". Then he ask me what the answer i did not know. Does any one know the answer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

A little reading for you. There is much more available with a small google search.

http://www.linfo.org/unix_upper.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/linux
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 sonic_8400

sonic_8400
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

thank this link help http://www.answers.com/topic/linux
I use Google but only found who made them i guess i suck at Google search.

#4 jeidson

jeidson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

The quick dirty answer is that the Linux is a Unix distribution that can run on a PC. Linux is only the kernel. The proper name for the entire OS is GNU/Linux.

#5 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:10 AM

Linux is a Unix distribution

That's incorrect. Linux is not based on UNIX, Linus Torvalds got his inspiration from MINIX which is UNIX like (Linux is also UNIX like).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Li...eation_of_Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Li...eation_of_Linux

#6 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

From what i've been reading my answer would be:

Linux is free and open-source whereas UNIX is not
UNIX does not have a GUI whereas LINUX does

Would I get the job?

#7 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

Unix does have a GUI... Yes Linux is free and Open Source, but there are some distros of Unix that is free and Open Source i.e. Open Solaris... The primary difference between Linux and Unix is the Kernel, secondly the assembly, most distributions of Linux are made for the x86 or x86_64 architecture where as Unix is built more around sparc architecture... (this is just a observation btw)... Also Linux is a bit more user friendly then Unix, though Linux is a Unix like system, BSD, or FreeBSD, is more Unix like then Linux from what I have heard, haven't actually tried BSD...

#8 Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

My cousin was ask this question at his job interview "What the different between Linux and Unix?". Then he ask me what the answer i did not know. Does any one know the answer?

UNIX was originally an operating system developed by Bell labs at AT&T, originally UNIX shipped with the source code and derivatives were made, the most notable are BSD UNIX, NeXtStep (on which MacOSX is based), and SunOS (originally BSD based, later System V).
UNIX was a proprietary operating system and not free.

In 2009, UNIX is any operating system which is tested by The Open Group for compliance with the Single UNIX specification (a.k.a. `IEEE 1003 POSIX'), an OS which is tested& certified is often called `Certified UNIX', UNIX is just a trademark, not an Operating system.
Operating systems which are similar or based on UNIX but not certified, are UNIX-like.

A list of certified UNIX operating systems:
http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/xy.htm

Most Free operating systems are not certified because it's expensive to get certified, and a piece of paper won't improve the quality.

UNIX does not have a GUI whereas LINUX does

Most certified UNIX OS's have a GUI, (MacOS X comes with cocoa, Solaris with Gnome, ect.)
AT&T UNIX had a GUI since before Linux even existed, The X Window System was developed on UNIX, so were toolkits such as Motif and XaW.

In other words, this doesn't make any sense.

Linux is a Unix distribution

There is no such thing as a ``UNIX distribution''.
Basicly, a ``Linux distribution'' is the Linux kernel + A lot of 3rd party programs + A bunch of scripts holding it all together.

Most UNIX and UNIX-like systems are complete operating systems in their own right, even if you look at closly related systems such as NetBSD and OpenBSD (Although some code is shared).

In many ways GNU/Linux is not UNIX (In fact, GNU means `GNU's Not UNIX'), it does many things very different, although there are also many similarities ... It is like Windows 98 and Windows XP, many things seem the same (start menu, this computer, ect.) but if you dig a little deeper then things are very different.

where as Unix is built more around sparc architecture

This is not true, UNIX was originally for the PDP, and has since been developed on many architectures, UNIX-like operating systems such as the BSD's, but also HP-UX and solaris run very good on the x86/amd64/IA-64 architectures.
Also, Linux runs on many different architectures too.

Also Linux is a bit more user friendly then Unix

Not really, KDE, Gnome, ect. all run on most UNIX and UNIX-like systems.

though Linux is a Unix like system, BSD, or FreeBSD, is more Unix like then Linux from what I have heard, haven't actually tried BSD...

Indeed, the BSD operating systems are much more like UNIX than GNU/Linux is in many ways.
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#9 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:21 AM

Carpet - Nice... a very good read all of that was...
Though I personally feel that Linux (outside the gui) is more user friendly then Unix... When I was in college, my first class I took was Intro to Unix... It was the prerequisite for all the Linux classes... I also took Linux Install & Config, Linux Networking & Security, as well as Web Server Administration (Linux of course lol)... And as I recall, it was much easier to understand and work with Linux, then it was with Unix... Even before going to college I had already a good understanding of Unix/Linux... Though I could be wrong, it just seemed to me a bit easier then Unix did...
Also I have been thinking about trying BSD on one of my computers... Out of curiosity, which would you suggest?

#10 Bernie K.

Bernie K.

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

UNIX is a copyrighted name. Most UNIX OS's are considered complete operating systems; Linux is just a kernel. With exceptions to installtion & a few commands, differences are not that big.

To quote from Official Linux kernel README file:
Linux is a Unix clone written from scratch by Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net. It aims towards POSIX compliance.
Freedom is not FREE
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users