Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Logon then logs off

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sean J

Sean J

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

Hey all. Long time reader first time I have had the "misfortune" to post :thumbsup: (sorry)

Last week my work laptop had spyware and I removed it with windows defender since that time everytime I log on, I instantly get logged off to the logon screen (windows xp pro)
I have tried most everything that I could think of to logon with no luck whatsoever
1) Safe mode wont allow logon and as I didnt set the admin password(the person who set it has left the company) I cant log on as admin.
2)last known good configuration isnt working.
3) the restore disk for the computer is of course missing (its a dell)
4) I have the windows xp home edition and I cant do a repair from this disk as the keys are different so the repair option isnt available.

So my question is this-
If I use the recovery console option will that erase everything and do I have more options then a complete restore??

Thanks eveyone for the help

Sean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:40 PM

The XP Recovery Console is the same, whether the CD is XP Pro or XP Home.

The XP Recovery Console does not destroy any files, it is a repair tool that is inherent to each Microsoft XP CD.

You cannot do a repair install of XP Pro with an XP Home MS install CD...or vice versa.

You seem to be talking as if the Recovery Console is a restore/recovery CD...it is not.

If you have a restore/recovery CD provided by a manufacturer/seller of systems (e.g., Dell, HP, Gateway)...this is not the same as a Microsoft XP install CD. Restore/recovery CDs vary in the manner in which they function...you would have to consult either the owner's manual or the manufacturer's website to find documentation on how each might work.

If you have a genuine MS XP Home CD and a valid license for that version that is not used on another system...then you could do a clean install of the XP Home version on the XP Pro system. That would take the form of deleting the current partition and then proceeding with a clean install.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

#3 Sean J

Sean J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for the info.

I want to do it without losing any of the info on the disk if possible.

Would installing Windows on a portable hard drive such as a passport be an option for me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users