Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't even allow me to get past Windows XP Login screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hip007

hip007

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

Hi-thank you for allowing me to post.

I got a virus that redirected me to phony websites, and would not allow me to go to any real malaware or spyware removal website. My computer was then unable to run Super anti-spyware, which had been on my computer. I had a friend give me a usb drive with super Anti spyware and Malaware Bytes, I renamed it as I have seen you recommend. I had to reinstall super anti spyware and open in alternate start mode. That worked so I restarted my computer and tried to run Malaware in safe mode. That didn't work and I got a strange error message. All I had to do though, was uninstall and reinstall and then it worked (in regular start up mode) So I ran Super anti spyware and malaware at the same time. After they were both done malaware said it had removed certain problems, but that it was unable to remove other objects, but that I needed to restart my computer and it would remove them. Ever since I've been having this issue:
Trying to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, or last known good configuration, I get to the screen where I should be able to click on a user name, but the screen just comes up with windows logo and won't go to the option where you click on the user name-it just stays stuck.

And at one point the computer just turned off by itself. I would like to send you the Malaware report but I cannot even log in to my computer. I do remember seeing various trojans on there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

Right now this appears to be a hardware issue. I am moving this to XP (correct me if this is not XP). I think you need to run SFC..
When needed we can come here to Am I Infected and look at the logs.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a MS XP CD for your version of XP?

Can you get into safe mode on your system?

Louis

#4 hip007

hip007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:54 PM

Thank you! I am sure you all hear this all the time, but I appreciate the fact that you take the time to help. Not many people are willing to share their knowledge (and for free)-right on!

This is a Dell Dimension 3000 Tower, running with XP Home Service Pack 2.

Still stuck on the blue screen page that says "Microsoft Windors XP" -which is before the login page to select administrator, etc. I am trying to open it in safe mode- I turn on the computer, press F8 and get the option of opening in safe mode. After that it will not move-it goes to the blue windows XP screen and it stays there.

I know that when I ran malaware bytes it detected many trojan strains...am wondering if they affected the hardware. I ran malaware bytes twice-the 1st time it wanted me to restart the computer and my computer restarted fine-but the second time I am here, stuck on the XP screen.

Thank you-don't even know how to get into the computer to fix it, but I have a friend with a laptop who is willing to download and save software for me, if needed.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

Do you have the Dell CDs which came with your system?

Does your friend have a MS XP Home CD?

This is the troubleshooting guide portion of your system manual: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...t.htm#wp1043338

From what I see, the Dimension 3000 has a recovery/restore partition, which can be accessed by hitting F11.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users