Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Practice work.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 luciusad2004

luciusad2004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

Hello all.

Due to unfortunate circumstances im gonna be out of school for a while. I was a computer science major and don't want to go back to school after a year or more and get thrown back in to classes after not having practiced for a few years.

Does anyone have any idea were i could find practice work similar to the kind of problems you would get in a classroom setting? I'm not entirely creative and can't really think of anything to program on my own. I'm open to just about anything that is cheap enough to afford on a college student budget. Websites, books, magazines, its all good. I'm also considering doing some time at a local community college until i can get back in to my regular school (just to keep up w/ my math and hopefully keep my self from never going back to school). I might see if they offer a programming course i can take.

Thanks for any ideas

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

Project Euler is good for math-y problems. I enjoy working on them. Top Coder has mini-contests and challenges. You need to register for a free account. There are also tons of sites with Programming contest problems. For typical 'core' exercises, check out a programming book from the library. The end of each chapter will have simple exercises.

#3 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:38 PM

cool, thanks for the links, and ill try to make a stop to the library. Though i do have a few text books, i'll try flipping through those and see whats in them first. I just gotta find time to get up my moms place and pick them up.

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users