Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to access recovery partition on ASUS P5P 800?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 crackbaby

crackbaby

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

I need help F9 doesn't work and my computer has been slow after I got rid of a trojan vundo. Also if there is any chance of you guys helping me to reformat my computer using someone else's disk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

It's usually a combination of 2 or 3 keys, not just F9. It can be tricky also, you have to hit the keys at just the right time
Is this board from a custom build?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 crackbaby

crackbaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

What do you mean? Keyboard? It's a Standard PS/2 Keyboard

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

You misunderstood...the motherboard is what he was asking about, not the keyboard.

Is this an Asus motherboard put into a boxmaker (Dell, Gateway, etc.) system...or is it a system that is custom-built?

I've not seen a custombuilt system with a recovery partition of any sort...that's a gimmick used by Dell, HP, etc. on their systems.

Louis

#5 crackbaby

crackbaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

I think it's just a regular ASUS system and motherboard.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

OK...so you want to do a clean install?

There is no problem with using someone else's MS XP CD (not recovery or restore CDs) to do either a clean install or a repair install...as long as you have a valid, licensed key for that particular version of XP. If you have Home installed, the CD must be for XP Home and you must have a valid XP Home license which can be used when the install is done.

FWIW: A repair install is also possible, but a repair install (IMO) is highly unlikely to resolve malware issues. But, if I felt that the system is now clean...and that I am not experiencing active malware, but the effects of malware and removal of same (damaged system files)...then I would try a repair install first.

It would probably help if we had more background info concerning what has transpired and why you think that you want to reformat your system.

Louis

#7 crackbaby

crackbaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

Ok, so I got rid of this trojan vundo like a week ago and I think it permanently left scars on my computer. As in slow boot up. Programs don't show on taskbar, speakers don't work anymore, can't see my internet connections, and some programs don't work. SO basically my computer is like half retarded now.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:15 PM

OK.

My first question: What makes you think you are rid of it now? I mean, do you think your system is still currently infected?

If so, I would suggest that you allow the folks at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ to do what they can to try to help you. The personnel at that forum are much more adept at handling malware situations than we are here in the XP forum.

If you choose not to go that route and insist on reinstalling XP, then you might check out the following links for doing a clean install or a repair install.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2009 - 06:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users