Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Money Through the Net

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ataryu

Ataryu

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 13 August 2004 - 05:57 AM

Well, alot of people have been asking me questions about knowing if a website is legit or not. The only thing I can really tell them is if its a big company that you are familiar with than you can usually be sure its legit.

I havn't used paypal, but is it secure? If a website is using paypal to transfer money and such is it legit? Or is there any way of knowing?

I have had these questions myself.

Thanx :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:42 AM

I use paypal and find it to be trustworth and secure.

#3 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 13 August 2004 - 01:59 PM

Be careful about ones that look like corporate sites. Verizon, USBank, etc. Especially if you entered the URL just slightly different as variations of the spelling are what the "phishers" use.

Grinler isn't there something about the letter "s" showing up somewhere that means the site is using an extra protection of some kind to help keep things secure?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:51 PM

I really dont know to be honest.

#5 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:43 PM

Did a quick check. Supposedly if the URL starts with https it is using some kind of security to protect sensitive information.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:07 PM

Oh yeah :thumbsup: Wasnt sure what you meant. If a site has https:// that means they are using secure http which means the transmissions over the internet will be encrypted. That does not mean though that their internal security is any better than anywhere else.

#7 noonytunes

noonytunes

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:56 AM

I have never used Paypal for transferring money. One thing I know is that if you use it as a way to charge for services, the person can obtain the services from you then ask Paypal to cancel the payment. They have to go through different channels if it is a purchase for goods. The person rendering services gets slapped with charges if this occurs. Doesn't seem like a good way to go to me--at least for getting paid for services.
:thumbsup: Peace, nancylouisehite
noonytunes

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:51 PM

Well i dont think they can just cancel it. They would have to open a dispute just like any credit card company would do.

#9 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:39 PM

If someone writes a check they can simply call the bank and put on a stop payment. As Grinler said even charge card charges can be denied. So bottom line if someone wants to cheat you they will find a way.

And if you think cash is safe think again. First of course there are forgeries. But an old favorite is the "I gave you a twenty and you gave me change for a ten". When I was very young I got hit that way working in a 7/11. Never since. There is never a twenty in the cash drawer. As soon as the customer leaves the twenty gets stashed. Twice I have been able to smile sweetly at the customer and show them that there was no twenty in the drawer. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users