Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volume Control

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FlyerEd

FlyerEd

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

I am having some problems with my Volume Control on the taskbar. When the Desktop or most programs are being used, it works rapidly and normally.
However, when I am surfing the Web and wish to adjust the volume of short videos (trailers, streaming, etc.) or audio, it either does not work at all or becomes extremely slow in opening for adjustment. Most of the time the video or audio is over before it finally decides to open and allow adjustment. I have never experienced this problem before so have no idea of how to troubleshoot it. All I know for sure is that it didn't act this way in the past. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:01 PM

Can you give us more info on your computer specs? How much RAM. How many processes are working in the background?
Please post back if we found the solution

#3 FlyerEd

FlyerEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

Dell Dimension 2350
1.8 GHz Intel Processor
60 GB Hard Drive (Very little used)
1 GB RAM
Use "Startup Inspector for Windows" to select only necessary startup items.
Windows XP SP2
All Windows updates installed except SP3 which I have been advised by Dell to NOT install (potential problems).
All programs and all drivers up to date.
No viruses, spyware, spam, malware, etc. (Trend Micro Internet Security 2009)
If you need additional information, please advise.
Thanks

#4 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

Since you have an Intel processor, I don't see any reason not to update to SP3. The issues were related to AMD processors.

As for your sound problem, I'm not sure what to think. You might want to double-click on the icon to adjust the volume as I've noticed it's a lot faster to open the Principal volume window. It opens right away.

Edited by karbo1, 20 January 2009 - 12:20 PM.

#5 FlyerEd

FlyerEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

karbo 1,
Thanks so much for your assistance. I didn't know the SP3 issues were with AMD and not Intel. I'll go ahead and download and install SP3 and see what happens. I hadn't thought about opening the main "audio console", but I'll sure give it a try. Thanks again. It's great to have folks like you out there to lend
a helping hand.

FlyerEd

#6 FlyerEd

FlyerEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

karbo 1,
I should have tried the volume control situation before sending a reply a few minutes ago. I happened to get an E-mail from the Experimental
Aircraft Association with a short video maintenance presentation. It gave me a good occasion to try both the "single" and the "double" click method
on the speaker icon. I had already tried both from the desktop and either way opened in approx. 1 second. When I did either during the video,
it took an average of approx. 10 seconds (no difference in single or double click). I know you said you didn't know what could be the problem, but
I thought I'd go ahead and give you a report. As I advised in my initial message, there was no difference in the reaction time whether a video was
running or not. If you happen to come up with any ideas on this, let me know at any time. Thanks again for all the help.

FlyerEd

#7 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

Perhaps you should post a HJT log. It might give us a clue about your volume problems.

Install the program on your computer. Once you've ran the program, click on "Do a system scan and save a logfile". Do not fix anything. Copy the log from notepad and post it back here, not has an attached document please.

Edited by karbo1, 21 January 2009 - 10:05 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:14 AM

Please do NOT post HJT logs in this forum...doing so will merely result in your thread being moved to the HJT forum. HJT logs are treated as items appropriate for the HJT forum, not the XP forum.

There are countless examples for you to see...just check out any logs that have the Moved notation. These have been considered to have been posted erroneously in the XP forum.

Louis

#9 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:24 AM

Sorry, I merely wanted to see what he had on his computer that could give me more clues.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:59 AM

No problem.

Personally, I always think that HJT logs are not the right tool for such intents...but I've been wrong before :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users