Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive erasing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mjfuchs

mjfuchs

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

i purchased a 500gb hard drive and want to install it, but before i do that. i want to erase everything on the old one. can i do that? if so how?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

The easiest way is to delete the partition. How secure do you want it to be? One word of advice - don't do anything until you've verified the new hard drive is working and is up and running the way you want it to be.

#3 mjfuchs

mjfuchs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

so install the new then delete the old. will that affect the computer in any way? i guess what i am doing is putting a bigger hd in for more space obviously and why i want to delete the partition on the old is to give it to my inlaws for their computer. so if i delete the partition everything will be gone correct?

#4 mjfuchs

mjfuchs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:09 PM

there wont be any files or viruses transferred to the new one will there by installing it first?

#5 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:22 PM

Well, if you delete the partition you'll be killing everything, including the Operating System. Once the hard drive has been cleaned off they will have to install a new OS or a new partition to be able to use it in their PC. Who's going to be doing the upgrading of the in-laws' PC?

#6 mjfuchs

mjfuchs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

me. i have done it a cpl times for mine. i had a hd crash. computer problems in the past.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:29 PM

<<...before i do that. i want to erase everything on the old one. can i do that? if so how?>>

Assuming that you have a MS XP install CD...first change the boot options in the BIOS so that the optical drive is the 1st option.

Then you can insert the XP CD and just delete the old partition on your former hard drive. You do this by electing the install option (not the repair option). Once the install option shows you the partition you currently have XP installed on...just elect to delete it. Then exit the install routine.

Turn the system off...change the drives...begin your install of XP on the newer hard drive.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Since you are doing a clean install with a new hard drive...I see no reason to wait before deleting the old install.

Louis

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,881 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

You can use one of the programs in the links below to securely erase the HD.
http://www.killdisk.com/
http://www.dban.org/

Just formatting or deleting a partition will still allow someone with readily available tools to pull the old info off of the old HD.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

That's probably the easiest way to do it... Again I would say to set up the new HD first, just in case you forgot something. I always seem to forget something and get mad at myself after it's too late. (Now I have "getdataback" fom runtime.org just in case)

Should be pretty simple! Good luck!

#10 mjfuchs

mjfuchs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

k. thx guys. if i have any ?s i'll be back.

#11 mjfuchs

mjfuchs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:39 PM

just one last ? can i unplug the old install the new and then unplug the new cus i only have one sata cable to delete the old?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:07 PM

Yes.

A hard drive is nothing but a storage container...a closet, a shelf, etc.

Once you do the install, it will be on there and will stay there if the hard drive is removed (with the system off). Connect/disconnect drives only when the system is shut down completely.

Louis

#13 mjfuchs

mjfuchs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:43 PM

k. thx louis

#14 hamluis

hamluis