Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia 285 GTX

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shaver

shaver

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

Hi all,

My system is as follows:

AMD Athalon 4800+ dual 2.5Ghz
Asus M2V Motherboard
2GB Ram
800 Watt power supply (can't remember manufacturer)

Sunday fitted new Graphics card - Nvidia 285 GTX, and now the problems have started.

As far as i can tell, usual use of internet, email, office progs are absolutely fine. The system also seems fine playing older games like CoD and United Offensive. Started playing CoD4 Modern Warfare, CoD5 World at War, GTA4, which are all obviously more graphically demanding, especially GTA4, and fine at first, but eventually after somewhere between 2 to 30 minutes the system will just die completely, like total power failure or as if i had held in the power button to perform a hard shutdown. Pressing the power button will then have no effect. I can only restart the computer if I hold in the power button (as if i was doing a hard shutdown) for 10secs, then release it, then press in again to get power.

Once the computer has rebooted, it gives no error messages and seems perfectly happy, unless of course i try to play any of the listed games, when eventually i will get total power failure again.

My power supply is only 3 months old and 50 watts more than recommended for the new card. I am running the card straight out of the box, with no attempts to overclock it. The whole system doesn't appear to be getting any hotter than usual either, so i am totally bemused.

Can anyone of you brainboxes throw any light on the subject, cause basically i don't know where to start.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:27 PM

Give us the model/specs of your power supply. 800 watts on some models doesn't mean a lot.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:07 PM

Did you remember to connect the Additional PCI-E power connector? Who is the manufacture of the Video card and the power supply?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:17 PM

Don't forget to watch the temperatures. Those graphics cards run very hot.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 shaver

shaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:37 AM

Hi all and many thanks for the replies,

The power supply is EZCOOL PS-900. Sorry, i don't really know or understand its specs other than it is 800w

The Graphics card is a Zotak.

Definitely got the additional power connector in place.

Mmmm. Considered the heat issue, but only tested by placing my hand next to the nearest fan, which seemed pretty cool. It is an old case, and far from what could be defined as a gaming model.

Is there an easy way to check the overheating theory, other than taking the side off, standing it in the middle of the room and/or forcing the fan speeds higher?

Cheers again

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:52 AM

All the info I can find about that power supply isn't good. Measure the 12V output on a spare molex connector (yellow and black) with a multimeter when a game is running. I would bet voltage is dropping/PSU is overheating.

You can download "Furmark" to stresstest your videocard. GPU-Z van be used to monitor the temps.

Edited by dpunisher, 20 January 2009 - 08:00 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 shaver

shaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:04 AM

OH POO!!

Thanks dpunisher, i'll check it out.

Why oh why does one expensive upgrade always lead to another. Oh the joys of being a lame gamer!!

cheers again

#8 Kalidor

Kalidor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:59 AM

I have exactly the same problem.

I have measured the power consumption and the system needs about 400W under full load (CPU & GPU).
Power supply is a 2 year old Termaltake 750W.
MB is an ASUS Striker extreme with latest firmware.
OS is Vista 64

max CPU temp is 70C and GPU up to 65C - so I don't think that this is a temperature or power issue.

3dmark 06 works without any problems with any resolution,
3d mark vantage power off the system if the resolution is 1920x1200, with lower resolutions no problem.
Crisis immediately power off the system.
Tomb raider underworld is working fine in full HD.

Any other ideas?
Thx a lot

#9 shaver

shaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

Sorry to all who tried to help me cause i should have replied earlier letting them know i had resolved the issue.

Unfortunately Kalidor, even though i invested in a new case for extra cooling, the problem was resolved by purchasing a new 780w Hiper PSU.

Sorry, as i guess that maybe doesn't help you?!

Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users