Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random crashes after installed new Memory.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 John the One

John the One

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:41 AM

As the topic states, I recently bought some new memory for my PC, replacing two lots of old DDR PC2-5200 512mb with two lots of newer DDR2 6400G 1024mb.

After booting up my PC I was asked to re-activate Windows, due to there being major changes to my PC. This is the first time it's ever happened so i'm actually wondering if I made a mistake by re-activating Windows and gotten myself some kind of virus. My PC has started to make a very high pitch, tinnitus-like screech as well. If I turn my PC off using the switch at the back, the noise dies down and eventually stops, only to restart upon turning the PC back on.

My PC tends to crash frequently as well, mainly when i'm using the Internet and playing video games. The PC crashes to the blue screen of death, usually mentioning something about win32, other times, not saying anything expect telling me the PC had to be shut down to save it from being damaged. The PC was working fine up until I added the new memory, which I was told by PC World, would work fine and is backwards combatible with my PC. The memory ovbiously does work, but what is causing my PC to crash so much?

Please could someone lend a hand?

Cheers!

John.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 John the One

John the One
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:57 AM

My PC has only just crashed, revealing the Blue screen of death once more.

It said: *** STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000).

#3 John the One

John the One
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

The computer has crashed again and this time on the Blue Screen of Death, it said:

*** ALCXWDM.SYS - Address B89D9B5C base at B8974000, DateStamp 47215cfe.

I've put my old memory back in to see if anything will change, but my PC has continued to make that high pitch tinnitus sound which wasn't there prior to using the new memory.

#4 John the One

John the One
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:42 AM

The computer is still crashing. Can't anyone help?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

Can you post the system manufacturer and model...or motherboard manufacturer and model (if system is custom-built or self-built, not manufactured by Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.)?

If you believe that this is not a malware situation, I suggest that you may want to remove all that HJT log info by editing the post it appears in. If you leave that in this thread, it will be treated as if it is a suspected/known malware issue...to be dealt with by the HJT forum, not the XP forum.

Members of this forum do not normally respond to threads with HJT logs posted, it prevents members with good intentions from giving responses/advice which cannot adequately cope with HJT situations.

Louis

#6 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:02 PM

FYI, the HijackThis Logfile posted in this topic is saved for future reference if needed. For right now, John The One you are in good hands with hamluis. Your issue at this point seems to be mostly hardware related. After hamluis helps you with that we will pursue the HjT Log as needed . If you have any questions or need your HjT Logfile moved to the proper forum send me a pm and I will be happy to help. Good Luck :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users