Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vundo.generic infection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 wayneinnj

wayneinnj

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

Hey there,

I've been infected by the vundo virus on my computer. I'm running xp. I've tried several things and have also read through the posts here, and i can't get anything to work. I used spybot, symantic anti-virus (on my compueter) a program online that was a vundo fix program, a vundo fix made by symantic (in 05!). nothing works. I also downloaded combofix and ran it, but nothing seemed to change. i got a log, and thought i saved it, but i now cannot find the log anywhere. i used the programs above in safe mode and regular, disabling the system restore and all those type of things.

I've kept my pc off the internet and have been using other computers for that. One big problem right now is that i'm blue screening quite often.

Please help. Thanks so much!

Wayne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:27 PM

Hi do not run ComboFix any more ..please see the Blue text at the top of this forum.

Can you run a MBam scan from you regular user acciount in normal mode and get us a log?

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.32) and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
If you have a previous version of MBAM, remove it via Add/Remove Programs and download a fresh copy.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 wayneinnj

wayneinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for your response. before your post, I did two mbam scans. I have posted their logs in sequential order. (I also restarted after each one) I cannot get mbam to update. it will not connect. I am running version 1.33

Here is the first log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.33
Database version: 1654
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

1/19/2009 2:18:41 PM
mbam-log-2009-01-19 (14-18-41).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 54870
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 55 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 3
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\ekuyixhg (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\ekuyixhg (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ekuyixhg (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\lmpvaqxm.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

HERE IS THE 2ND LOG:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.33
Database version: 1654
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

1/19/2009 3:58:53 PM
mbam-log-2009-01-19 (15-58-53).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 134098
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 18 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\system32\efcCrSlK.dll.vir (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\system32\prunnet.exe.vir (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

Ok perhaps if we do these it will unblock the Mbam update.
BTW I'm in NJ too..

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

NOW SAS from regular user account
Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Edited by boopme, 19 January 2009 - 04:33 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 wayneinnj

wayneinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

Ok, sorry for the late reply on this. I did the last step you suggested and it took 2 1/2 hours and i ran out of time! So, i got the log this morning. it is posted below. since my recent start up, firefox is not working properly. this forum is not posting right. it's only displaying text. no color backgroud or boxes. just an fyi. Thanks!

my last log (did it in safe mode under the settings you asked for)

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 01/19/2009 at 07:11 PM

Application Version : 4.24.1004

Core Rules Database Version : 3716
Trace Rules Database Version: 1690

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 02:22:32

Memory items scanned : 156
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 5698
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 104929
File threats detected : 4

Adware.Vundo Variant
C:\QOOBOX\QUARANTINE\C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\IIFDCYOL.DLL.VIR
C:\QOOBOX\QUARANTINE\C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MJJGRQKC.DLL.VIR
C:\QOOBOX\QUARANTINE\C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TNANOM.DLL.VIR
C:\QOOBOX\QUARANTINE\C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\UTNKHMYB.DLL.VIR

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

Hello again you are looking better, still blue screening?

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan.
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot.

#7 wayneinnj

wayneinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

So, things may be a little better... i have not had the dreaded blue screen in awhile. :thumbsup: I think that is stable now.

I still cannot connect to the mbam update site. It just says "looking for malwarebytes.org". nothing happens. one thing that has been present throughout (first thing i noticed that i was infected) is a little thing in my tray called "window security alerts". it does its little pop up thing whenever i log in, and then every once in awhile pops up a rectangle saying that symantec has been disabled.

The update problem could be a network firewall issue that i am connected to...

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

It may well be the malware ..try these first.

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.

Another work around is by not using the mouse to install it, Just use the arrow keys, tab, and enter keys.

#9 wayneinnj

wayneinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

Just for clarification, mbam will install and run, it just won't update from the update tab. I am uninstalling it and then re-installing it now. I will then rename it as mentioned above.

#10 wayneinnj

wayneinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:02 PM

still no luck on the update.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

Ok lets's run a diiferent tool. I can give info on copying the updaes if you have a flash drive,usb etc...

Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.
-- If the computer has been infected with the VirusAlert! malware warning from the clock and the Start Menu icons or drives are not visible, open the SDFix folder, right-click on either the XP_VirusAlert_Repair.inf or W2K VirusAlert_Repair.inf (depending on your version of Windows) and select Install from the Context menu. Then reboot to apply the changes.

#12 wayneinnj

wayneinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

ok so i'm having trouble disableing symantec! I read the link and have right clicked on the tray icon...and tried to just close the program. I can't figure it out. when i right click the options are to "enable auto-protect" or open the program. when i click enable (to uncheck it) it put up the block sign, as if to says its now disabled, but then it just comes right off.

Any thoughts?

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

I feel there is a deeper maleware here and perhaps best to post an HJT log and have them find ,rather than risk corrupting more files.
Go here and do steps 6 & 7.
Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis
Post the complete log here
HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal
Let me know if that went OK or if you have any question.

#14 wayneinnj

wayneinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

OK. I will work on that. Here is the log from the Sdfix:

SDFix: Version 1.240
Run by Jason Morrell on Tue 01/20/2009 at 04:08 PM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\sdfix

Checking Services :

Restoring Default Security Values
Restoring Default Hosts File

Rebooting

Checking Files :

No Trojan Files Found

Removing Temp Files

ADS Check :

Final Check :

catchme 0.3.1361.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2009-01-20 16:14:46
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

scanning hidden registry entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

Remaining Services :

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Version Cue CS2\\bin\\VersionCueCS2.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Version Cue CS2\\bin\\VersionCueCS2.exe:*:Enabled:Adobe Version Cue CS2"
"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Messenger"
"C:\\Program Files\\SmartFTP Client\\SmartFTP.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\SmartFTP Client\\SmartFTP.exe:*:Enabled:SmartFTP Client 2.5"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"C:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe:*:Enabled:Bonjour"
"C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe:*:Enabled:iTunes"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\domainprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLacsd.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLacsd.exe:*:Enabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLDial.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLDial.exe:*:Enabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\America Online 9.0\\waol.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\America Online 9.0\\waol.exe:*:Enabled:AOL"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"

Remaining Files :

Files with Hidden Attributes :

Mon 30 Oct 2006 88 ..SHR --- "C:\WINDOWS\system32\40CB08D325.sys"
Mon 30 Oct 2006 3,350 A.SH. --- "C:\WINDOWS\system32\KGyGaAvL.sys"
Fri 19 Jan 2007 4,348 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\DRMv1.bak"
Wed 18 Apr 2007 0 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\Cache\Indiv02.tmp"
Tue 22 Jul 2008 0 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\Cache\Indiv03.tmp"
Tue 27 Mar 2007 45,568 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Jason Morrell\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\~WRL3973.tmp"
Thu 5 Jun 2008 66,048 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Jason Morrell\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\~WRL0004.tmp"
Thu 8 May 2008 52,224 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Jason Morrell\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\~WRL0868.tmp"
Tue 1 Jul 2008 79,872 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Jason Morrell\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\~WRL1366.tmp"
Wed 4 Oct 2006 3,072,000 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Jason Morrell\Application Data\U3\temp\Launchpad Removal.exe"
Tue 10 Oct 2006 8 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GTek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\Channels\ch1\lock.tmp"
Tue 10 Oct 2006 8 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GTek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\Channels\ch2\lock.tmp"
Tue 10 Oct 2006 8 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GTek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\Channels\ch3\lock.tmp"
Tue 10 Oct 2006 8 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GTek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\Channels\ch4\lock.tmp"
Tue 10 Oct 2006 8 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GTek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\Channels\ch5\lock.tmp"

Finished!

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

I believe it is hiding or protecteted and we cannot get to it. They have tools there that we don't run here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users