Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

another windows 2000 problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:23 AM

Okay, here's another problem. I have an old toshiba satellite pro 4200 laptop, 5 GB HDD, 64 MB Ram. I had XP pro installed, but it ran too slow, so I tried windows 2000. I tried to boot, and it worked one time, but aborted setup because of a problem. After that I could not boot or even browse the CD-rom, it says there is no disk in the CD-drive. I tried and installed Win 98 on the laptop without a problem, tried to upgrade to 2000, same problem.
I checked on my own PC, Windows 2000 CD boots normally and initializes setup-program without any problem and is recognized by my system normally.
So, I can boot with my XP-boot CD, with my Win 98 boot CD, but not with my Win2000 (I tried 2 different CD's). My laptop does not recognize any of my Win2000 installation disks (my own PC recognizes both).
Is there an issue with toshiba laptops and Win 2000 (but how come it runs 98 and xp as well?)? I googled but found nothing. I don't have a clue. The laptops CD-drive works with every CD, installation CD is unscratched.
Please help!

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

Hello elise025 :thumbsup:

This seems a little weird, but I'll tackle it nonetheless.

I have an old toshiba satellite pro 4200 laptop, 5 GB HDD, 64 MB Ram. I had XP pro installed, but it ran too slow

You only have 64MB of RAM...you should upgrade to at least 256MB for 2000 or XP to run well. Check your computer documentation to determine the TYPE of RAM (SDRAM, DDR, etc.). However, with such an old computer you may be limited to what you can upgrade to.

I tried windows 2000. I tried to boot, and it worked one time, but aborted setup because of a problem. After that I could not boot or even browse the CD-rom, it says there is no disk in the CD-drive

What was the problem? Did you get an error message? Blue screen? If you got a blue screen (or STOP message), what was the code? This is important.

The fact that your other computer can read the 2000 CD rules out that it's a CD problem. And the fact that you can read all other CD's with your old laptop rules out that it's a CD-ROM problem.

I have a feeling something yonked on you in setup that prevents the Windows 2000 CD from "seeing" your CD Rom drive (or vice-versa).

Please answer these questions, then I'll try and see what we can do:

1) What operating system do you have installed on the laptop right now? Can you boot into Windows?
2) Do you have an external floppy drive with the laptop or one lying around?
3) Any USB ports on the laptop?
4) If you have the Windows 98 CD, did it come with Windows 98 startup disk?

Cheers.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

So, I can boot with my XP-boot CD, with my Win 98 boot CD, but not with my Win2000 (I tried 2 different CD's). My laptop does not recognize any of my Win2000 installation disks (my own PC recognizes both).

As you have more than one Win2000 CD, are they burned "backup" copies, or is one that isn't recognized also an original silver pressed CD?

If the 2000 setup CDs are burned disks, the CD-ROM may be having difficulty with the lower reflectivity of these. Maybe the problem that aborted the first attempt was caused by disk read problems?

Cleaning the laser lens may help with difficulty reading some disks.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,314 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:29 AM

Right now I have Windows 98 installed. From yesterday that is. I had XP and it ran fine.... well, as fine as possible with 64 MB Ram.
The laptop has a floppydrive and an usb-port, both working fine.
I have the Win 98 startup disk (made it while setup was running).

I hope this helps.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,314 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:31 AM

O, and as for the CD's, both are original, purchased long times ago with long-gone pc's.

regards, Elise

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

When you installed Windows 2000 the 1st time (after XP being too slow), did you do a re-format and then an install?
If so, at what stage did setup fail and what was the message?

Assuming you want to install Windows 2000 follow these instructions:

1) Back up all your critical data onto a flash drive or CD-R as you will need to re-format your drive.

2) You will need your Win98 startup disk. Please go here and follow steps 1 to 3 in the first post. Note that you must format to a FAT32 partition. Please use the entire drive space (in your case 5GB) as the Primary Partition. What you are essentially doing is installing a clean version of Windows without a bootable CD-ROM. In other words, since your ROM cannot "read" the disk, then you can't boot from it.

Did it install successfully? If so, try putting in the Windows 2000 CD in the CD-ROM of your laptop. Does it recognize the CD?

If your laptop still cannot read the CD, then you have a bum disk or your CD-ROM doesn't "like" it. If that's the case, then either borrow or get a second hand external CD-ROM w USB plug-n-play. Make sure it's bootable. Then put the Windows 2000 CD in that ROM, re-boot the laptop to boot from the CD first. You may have to configure the BIOS to do that. Install Win2K normally.

After you finished, to convert your partition to NTFS:
- at a command prompt type in the following where drive letter is the drive where Windows is installed (example: C)

convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs

Good luck. :thumbsup:

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• 61,314 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

Finally I think it was the CD, tried all the above, and talked with a friend about the problem. He offered to borrow me his Win2K CD and guess what, it booted fine. I have no clue what is wrong with my CD-roms, but finally the laptop runs fine with Win2K.

Thanks for all the help!

regards, Elise

#8 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

Great! :thumbsup:
Glad it worked out for you.

Yeah, CD's can be very funny sometimes. They can be read perfectly fine on one brand of CD drive and be totally undetected on others. I've had a similar problem with certain Audio CD's on my old JVC CD Player. Got a new player, and everything was fine. Weird... :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users