Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LENOVO (IBM) THINKPAD BATTERY

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ras_Al_Ghul

Ras_Al_Ghul

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

My niece recently gave us an approximately 3 year old Lenovo (IBM) Thinkpad. After some initial cleanups, this thing runs really well. (I was initially going to increase the RAM, but may not even need to do that.)

The only problem seems to be that the battery does not hold a charge. The indicator remains orange sometimes, and it seems to drain in approx. 5 minutes, even after it says 87% full. My wife and I are happy using it with the adapter plugged in. Batteries seem to be in the $160 range online.

Do we need to replace the battery or can we just use the laptop with the adaptor? Can any harm be done by NOT getting a new battery or are the power sources pretty much independent?

Also, any thoughts on adding RAM? It has an Intel CPU T2400 @ 1.83 GHz and has 504 MB of RAM. For our purposes (basically reading email and Internet searches and a little C++ for laughs,) it seems fine.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Ras_Al_Ghul, 19 January 2009 - 09:50 AM.

The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents. - Nathaniel Borenstein (1957 - )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:58 AM

You can continue to use the Thinkpad with with just the power adapter/charger.

Although I would remove the battery to preclude any problems.

I wouldn't spend the money to increase the RAM. I'd save instead for a new system?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:20 PM

Chances are that the laptop already has the maximum amount of ram. It shows 504 which would be 512 -8 for the graphics leaving you 504. This should be plenty for the current uses for the laptop. Adding more as already mentioned would not be cost effective. Enjoy checking your E-mail from your easy chair and leave the heavy duty computing to your PC.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Ras_Al_Ghul

Ras_Al_Ghul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:37 AM

Thank you both for your recommendations. I agree, it would be wise to invest any available capital in a new system.

Just curious - if you were interested in a new laptop, would you suggest waiting until Windows 7 was ready for release, or go with Vista? I don't plan to make a purchase for at least a few months. Also, a lot of folks we know have switched to Macs. My son has one, and it seems to perform very well although he did experience a hard drive crash on a fairly new system and I have heard of others with the same problem.

I imagine some of the forums would be helpful in making these choices.

Thanks again for your assistance.
The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents. - Nathaniel Borenstein (1957 - )

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:53 AM

With the Windows 7 full release being noted anytime from October this year on through mid 2010, it all depends on how long you can wait.

I'm not a MAC fan, but I know many that are well satisfied with theirs and have had very few problems.

I have a main super PC using XP and have four laptops with Vista home premium.

I've had no problems with the Vista. I just need to read and practice with them more to learn the OS.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:35 PM

I am kind of in the same boat accept all my Pc's run Xp Pro. I have had very limited exp with vista. I do have cousins that swear by Mac and have only heard good things from them. There are problems with vista but there are problems with every operating system unfortunately as with most things you don't hear from the satisfied customers only the ones with problems. If you do decide on Vista Check compatibility with your current periferials such as your Printers, scanners. Printers and scanners are very picky with vista and I have seen allot of problems on here about that specific topic.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:49 PM

I'll just add...that, if you want to try the Windows 7 beta now (to help decide the future), you can download the beta from Microsoft, after going through token necessary procedures.

How to install the Windows 7 Beta - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...structions.aspx

If you plan on burning it to disk, you will need a DVD, rather than a CD...and the download is slow (using Microsoft's download tool).

Louis

#8 Ras_Al_Ghul

Ras_Al_Ghul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:31 AM

Thanks again, folks!

I've gotten nothing but great help and good advice from the people at Bleepingcomputer!

I'm going to shift over to the Programming forum soon. I'm a retired Mainframe programmer (IMS, DB2, COBOL - Imagine - this stuff still exists!)

I plan to mess around with C++ a bit to satisfy the programming urge! I have an old Borland C++ compiler to mess around with. Maybe I'll speak to you guys over there!

Be well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users