Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Supporting Open Source

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

I've begun converting all of several computers over to some open source (Linux) distributions and free software.

While the FOSS, free as in beer idea is great, these developers put a lot of time, thought, and perspiration into great software.
I don't believe it's fair that I continuously use this software without providing my financial gratitude in some way. Furthermore,
I don't want to see FOSS suffer due to the economy.

Not being a rich man, I'm looking for the best model to support the projects that I benefit from the most.

Here are some Ideas I have about the approach, and keep in mind I'd like to be comparable to M$ in model, while not the same amount of
money that I would spend against M$ and M$ dependent software.

Example 1:

Distribute among the Kernel, Filesystem projects, and core developer tools....

Problem here is that leaves out the end product in many way and distributions but ensures some level of development.

Example 2:

Distribute amounts for the Core Components/ Internals, Productivity Suites, and My choice of Desktop.

This leaves out the distribution of choice, and may create some money to be desired for many other projects
some that I may not see as necessary at the time.

Example 3:

Distribution Specific, Desktop Manager, and Productivity Suites.....

The problem with the last one should be obvious.

What are others doing to help the community?

What is the best way to ensure that the projects that benefit me get the most out of the small amount that I can donate?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

The one way I try to give to support Open Source, is when I hear of a major distro being released I usually try to download the .torrent and upload for as long as I can. It helps increase the speed for new downloaders and if enough people use BitTorrent to distribute the new release of a linux distro it would put less of a burden on the servers for the company or group of individuals releasing the distro.

Also some places that support Open Source or specifically Distro's of Linux, you can donate directly to those projects as well.

http://opensource.org/ is also a great place for information about different Open Source projects

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users