Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't copy pics fr disk to paste in emails!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Setterkate

Setterkate

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

Not sure what I am doing wrong. I know how to highlight, cop & paste. Got photos on disc from Costco. It takes forever to upload and download. Want to make jpegs or copy and paste. Have searched all over. Find ans to what I do know. Yahoo doesn't let you copy paste. Tried it in gmail and still can't make things go.

Any instructions must be detailed as I am ancient and not computer literate.

Kay :thumbsup:
Kay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:11 AM

Hello, Kay.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I'm not really too sure, what your trying to do.
If I understand correctly, you have some photo's on a disk.
From that point on, I'm not sure what you want to do.

It takes forever to upload and download.

What do you mean by this?
Upload/Download to where?

Want to make jpegs or copy and paste.

Again, not sure what you want.
Copy/Paste, and making .jpg's, are 2 different things.
Are the photo's in some other format, than .jpg, and you want to convert them to .jpg?
Or, are you trying to Copy/Paste the photo's in an E-mail, using Yahoo?

Are the photo's just on the disk, or have you downloaded them to your computer?
Are you using the free version of Yahoo, or the paid version?

If you could answer these questions, as best as you can, I might be able to help you with, what you're trying to do.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Setterkate

Setterkate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:36 AM

I have photos on a disc that Costco made of my negatives. To email them they require you to upload them. But when I try to share them I have to save them to somewhere else. Then when I open them somewhere else I can attach them to an email. But my friend said it took her 30 minutes to download them.

I have right clicked and copied other things. When I right click it send then to clip board. When I go to my Yahoo email and try to paste the photo, nothing happens. I cannot right click and copy not highlight the pics to copy.

If I still confuse you, the I will just give up. I have wasted two nights trying to copy photos from a disc to paste in an email. I don't know if the photos are jpgs or not. But I know jpegs are easier to attach and download.
Kay

#4 Setterkate

Setterkate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:43 AM

I am using free Yahoo.

I did upload photos to computer it takes a long time. I attached them to an email. My friend said it took 30 minutes for her to download the attachments to see the photos.

Maybe SOME year, I will get a scanner to scan photos to send. Seems to be easier!!
Kay

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:01 AM

Is your friend using Dial-up, or a High-speed internet connection?
If you didn't reduce the file size, or physical size of the images, before sending them, they will be quite large, resulting in long download times, especially on Dial-up.

If you reduce the size of the images, before sending them to her, it will significantly reduce her download times.
Here's a couple of tutorials discussing how to do both; reducing physical size, and reducing file size:
Reducing An Image's File Size By Reducing It's Image Quality Using Irfanview
Resizing An Image Using Irfanview

Reducing the physical size of the image will reduce it's file size, but not as much as reducing the file size (quality).
Doing both, will have the biggest impact on download times.
If using both methods, reduce the physical size first, then the quality, as that will leave you with a better looking image.

You can't Copy/Paste into Yahoo.
You have to send the images as an Attachment, and you're limited to a total file size of 10MB.
Reducing the size, and quality of the images, will allow you to attach more images.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 Setterkate

Setterkate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:12 AM

Thanks. I will try the sites you suggested. Maybe that will cut down on frustration. Need to know more about jpgs. Maybe I should study up on photo shop.
Kay

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:19 AM

Use the free program mentioned (Irfanview) in the tutorials.
It will handle most of your needs, and easier to learn than Photo Shop. photo shop
There are more tutorials on using it, in this forum:
Images, Image Editing, Image Viewing Mini-Guides

If you have any problems understanding the tutorials, or using Irfanview, just ask.

#8 Setterkate

Setterkate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:52 AM

Thanks again. Just trying to navigate these forums is time consuming. Guess it helps that I am laid off like many others. :thumbsup:
Kay

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:57 AM

You're quite welcome, Kay.
Just click the links I provided, and they'll take you directly, to everything I talked about.

The 2 tutorials I linked you to, also contain short videos, so you can see what the process will look like.
Makes the tuts easier, to understand. :thumbsup:

#10 Setterkate

Setterkate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

Finally got around to the tutorials today. Nice job you did for us newbies. :trumpet: Had trouble finding how to get back to the tutorials. Finally got it after I downloaded Irfanview & didn't know what to do with it. :inlove:

Of course I also had to find right computer forum to get my answers. Like BC better than Piriforms. :thumbsup:

Have a few more things to look up yet. It is all so time consuming.

Many thanks. :flowers: I am sure I'll be back.
Kay

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

Here is a suggestion.
First, download the photos from the disk to somewhere on your hard drive (for example, My Photos which is under My Documents). You will only have to do this once, and then you can look at them at any time you want.
Second, if the photos are extremely large in size (500 or more kbs) then use IrfanView to either crop the pictures, reduce the entire size, or to change the file type to .jpeg (these are usually smaller in size but you loose some of the clarity of the pictures). It would be a good idea to save the cropped or new file "as" using a different file name (that way you have both the original and the new picture on your hard drive in case you change your mind or are not happy with the results).
Third, simply attach the file you want to send to the Yahoo E-mail by clicking on the paper clip icon at the top of the E-mail creation box; Gmail has the same function and uses the paperclip icon as well.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users