Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent Internet connection XP SP1 after re-install

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Tudordoc

Tudordoc

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 03:18 PM

I have a 4 year old Dell Dimension. I recently did a clean install of XP with SP1. I have not downloaded any Windows updates. Previously my internet connection was reliable but now it is not. After some hours I cannot connect to the Net. I am still able to connect to get e-mail so it is not my network card. Another PC connected to the router carries on connecting fine. If I reboot the PC I can then connect to the Net

I have cable internet and wired connection to my network card

I have tried turning off my negative DNS cache as I read elsewhere but this has not helped. I have both Firefox and IE, and both work and do do work at the same time.

I have tried turning off ZoneAlarm when unable to connect, still cannot connect. I do not have the XP firewall turned on

I have tried turning off Avast virus checker and this makes no difference. However this is the only thing that has changed since I reinstalled. I used to have AVG and now use Avast. However I have Avast on another PC which is problem free.

I am wary of the Windows update but wonder if I should download the critical ones

Any suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:34 PM

Why are you wary of Windows updates?

Since SP2 primarily addresses security issues caused by third party code that wasn't in compliance with Microsoft's requirements and therefore allowed malodorous
occurrences such as buffer overruns, for one example, you are actually a poor internet citizen for allowing lax security on your computer and therefore affecting every other user of the internet.

Yes - you critically need the critical updates!

Check out the following pages to see if any third party code on your machine will be in conflict with SP2.

Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ct=windowsxpsp2

Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242/

If you do have a possible conflict - visit the websites of the programs in conflict to see if they have addressed their noncompliance with Windows XP requirements and download the fixes they have to address the issue, and then download all the rest of the critical updates that Windows Update informs you that you need - ESPECIALLY SP2!

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 May 2005 - 06:50 PM.

#3 Tudordoc

Tudordoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:05 AM

Gosh, I consider myself told off! This is inspite of having ZoneAlarm Avast Adaware spybot and xoftspy.

Will installing SP2 and critical updates solve my connecting problem????? Lets hope so

Tudordoc

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:16 AM

Gosh, I consider myself told off! This is inspite of having ZoneAlarm Avast Adaware spybot and xoftspy.

Will installing SP2 and critical updates solve my connecting problem????? Lets hope so

Tudordoc

Thanks doc. Sorry to have blown up like I did but there are so many idiots out there who think Microsoft, the company primarily responsible for the amazing success of the internet and over 90 percent of the computers on it, is somehow some type of incompetent, bumbling and inept organization that hasn't a clue as to what it is doing or how to design the products it has.

We take away Microsoft's well deserved and earned monopolies and then blame Microsoft for the existence of uncountable instances of incompetent code foisted on them by third party assemblers, publishers, writers and manufacturers whose products, when ignoring or defying Microsoft's published requirements, have resulted in the allowance of security flaws like buffer overruns, etc. to be utilized by malicious code writers to vandalize properties of others on the net.

There are very few people in existence who have the abilities of Microsoft's teams of extremely talented people in designing the products Microsoft produces, but they at Microsoft are not clairvoyant and therefore can't foresee the bumbling by third party vendors tinkering with work arounds instead of designing compliance with Microsoft requirements into their products in the first place.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:23 AM

Sorry to have blown up like I did but there are so many idiots out there who think Microsoft, the company primarily responsible for the amazing success of the internet and over 90 percent of the computers on it, is somehow some type of incompetent, bumbling and inept organization that hasn't a clue as to what it is doing or how to design the products it has.

:thumbsup: Hear Hear :flowers:

I couldn't agree more. Glad I'm not the only one brave enough to defend MS. I also use IE and like it too.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Tudordoc

Tudordoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:31 PM

Suitably chastened I came home and downloaded critical updates for SP1. I then decided to go the whole hog and installed SP2. Now cannot connect to the Net at all either with IE or with Firefox, and Outlook Express won't connect either. I do not have the windows firewall turned on as I have ZoneAlarm. Network card is working as I can connect to the PC from my laptop.

Since I canot leave this computer at home unconnected I have used Restore to go back to how it was.

As a techie person this kind off thing drives me to distraction. I suppose I could try again at the week-end rather than 11pm as it is now. Any suggestions

Tudordoc

Any suggestions??????

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:04 PM

Several things.

First - repair the winsock to get back on the net.
Winsock XP Fix
http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

Second - are you sure the Windows firewall is disabled as SP2 enables it by default?

Third: Microsoft policy grants full tech support to anyone experiencing problems as a result of installing SP2 (or in fact any other security update).

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). There is no
charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 May 2005 - 07:06 PM.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:04 PM

I have tried turning off ZoneAlarm when unable to connect, still cannot connect

Turning off ZA doesn't always really turn it off. I've seen situations where a bad install/uninstall of ZA will lock your browsers from accessing the internet, yet you can ping and receive and send email.

To eliminate this as a cause, use msconfig to disable ZA at startup, turn on the XP Firewall and reboot. When booted, look at your running processes and make sure no ZA App is running, specifically zlclient.exe and vsmon.exe. Try your browser again.

Edited by Leurgy, 25 May 2005 - 07:31 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 Tudordoc

Tudordoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:39 PM

Here I am back at square one, having used system restore to get the PC working (to allow my wife to work from home)

On the week-end, when I have more time, I will try SP2 again. Where can I find the SP2 that I downloaded yesterday or do I have to download again? It never gave me an option to save the file so wonder if it goes into a temp folder somewhere?

Once I have installed SP2, I'll run Winsock, and -if I may- post back the outcome

Thanks for your suggestions

TudorDoc

London UK

#10 Tudordoc

Tudordoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:34 PM

Now I am in a Catch 22. Having used restore to go back to how the PC was with SP1 I now cannot re-download SP2 from the Windows update website. I tried to use restore to go to the restore point after I tried SP2 but it won't let me.

HOw can I get SP2 now?

TudorDoc

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:48 PM

Instructions for downloading or ordering a CD of SP2 are here. Many people like to download and save Windows Updates for future installation (such as when you reinstall an operating system). You can get all the updates from the Microsoft Download Center.

Dial up users beware!

#12 Tudordoc

Tudordoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:44 AM

HAve downloaded SP2 and installed it.
Internet connection would not work when ZoneAlarm was running. Uninstalled and reinstalled Zonealarm. Internet still blocked til I reduced the Zonealarm Internet Security from high to medium.

Oh how I was I had tried that when I first loaded SP2!

TudorDoc

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 04:48 AM

Good job Tudordoc. :thumbsup:

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:03 AM

So, to clarify things in my semi-cognizant state (it is not yet 7am here this Saturday morning), does that mean thet you are are up and running with a XP SP2 compliant machine that actually functions?

#15 Tudordoc

Tudordoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:08 PM

Yes Thanks. I downloaded the SP2 upgrade off the site rather than use the Windows update pathway. I then installed SP2 with anit-virus and zonealarm disabled.

Zonealarm blocked the Internet connection till I uninstalled and reinatalled it. Everything seems to work even my very old version of WordPerfect 9!

Alls well that ends well

Thanks for your support

TudorDoc
London

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users