Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

boot up issue

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

My win 7 version boots awfully slow. Is that the case for anyone else? It takes my PC from pushing start button on PC to actual desktop 3 min and 50 secs. When I first push on start button I get to a blinking cursor and it stays there for 2 minutes. Anyone know why this is happening?

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:37 AM

How is your boot order in the bios setting ? Do you have anything inside your optical drive ( cd rom ) how old is your computer ( HDD ) ?

Edited by snooker, 19 January 2009 - 07:37 AM.

#3 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

Hi Snooker, Thanks for responding. Much appreciated. No external drive connected to PC nor USB devices. Boot order was cd/dvd, floppy, HD. Changed it to HD, cd/dvd, floppy but same results. It was a fresh install. Any ideas?

thx

#4 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

Hi Snooker, Thanks for responding. Much appreciated. No external drive connected to PC nor USB devices. Boot order was cd/dvd, floppy, HD. Changed it to HD, cd/dvd, floppy but same results. It was a fresh install. Any ideas?

thx

I would try doing a memory ( ram ) test . See how that goes . How old is your computer ?

http://www.memtest86.com/

Edited by snooker, 19 January 2009 - 02:01 PM.

#5 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:23 PM

Snooker, I will try memtest but memory is fairly new maybe less than 5 months. Here is what I see in event viewer:

At startup and in event viewer I see this error (The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: SASDIFSV, SASKUTIL). After a half an hour into using PC I get this error (The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.) 2.5 hours into use of PC I see this error (The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.)

Those are the errors I see. Computer is about 2.5 years old.

thx

Edited by bruinator, 19 January 2009 - 03:59 PM.

#6 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

Snooker, I will try memtest but memory is fairly new maybe less than 5 months. Here is what I see in event viewer:

At startup and in event viewer I see this error (The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: SASDIFSV, SASKUTIL). After a half an hour into using PC I get this error (The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.) @.5 hours into use of PC I see this error (The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.)

thx

Hmmmm By any chance have you been messing with some services ? How does it act under safe mode . Also have you play around with your system restore , How big of a hard drive are you using . The shadow part has something to do with system restore . I will surf around and see if anything comes up with your erros . Just by chance do you have superantispyware install ? Quitting time 4 me for now but I will look and see if anything comes up.

Edited by snooker, 19 January 2009 - 03:50 PM.

#7 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

At startup and in event viewer I see this error (The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: SASDIFSV, SASKUTIL). After a half an hour into using PC I get this error (The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.) @.5 hours into use of PC I see this error (The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.)

thx

Hmmmm By any chance have you been messing with some services ? How does it act under safe mode . Also have you play around with your system restore , How big of a hard drive are you using . The shadow part has something to do with system restore . I will surf around and see if anything comes up with your erros . Just by chance do you have superantispyware install ?

No messing with system resore or services. HD is 70GB. yes, I tried to install super antispyware. It BSOD'd on me. I researched it further to find out it was not compatible with Win 7 yet. Thanks for helping me. I really appreciate it. How did you figure out about superantispyware trying to be installed by those errors. That amazes me.

thanks

Edited by bruinator, 19 January 2009 - 04:05 PM.

#8 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:04 PM

Uninstalled my printer. Issues I am getting in event viewer now are:

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x0016765AEDDD.
The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
SASDIFSV
SASKUTIL

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
Writer Name: System Writer
Writer Instance ID: {2d415d0f-ea1a-4fe8-b8b4-136a4853515a}

Faulting application name: msiexec.exe, version: 5.0.7000.0, time stamp: 0x49431c33
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7000.0, time stamp: 0x49433e67
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0007f6d6
Faulting process id: 0x8b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01c97a7f423c74ac
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 80ac3063-e672-11dd-a95f-0016765aeddd

Any help is appreciated.

thx

Edited by bruinator, 19 January 2009 - 05:04 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

I don't have my Win7 up and running right now, but see if you can run "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) from the Start dialog. This works in Vista and I think it works in 7 (but am not sure). Also, if you dive into the depths of your Event Viewer logs, there'll be performance logs which can tell you a lot about the performance of your system (once again, this comes from Vista but it should be similar for 7).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:48 PM

How do I do this exactly? "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) from the Start dialog. From "run" box? I have never used vista. Nothing under performance in any log that I can see. Any idea?

thx for helping.

#11 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

Uninstalled my printer. Issues I am getting in event viewer now are:

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0x0016765AEDDD.
The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
SASDIFSV
SASKUTIL

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
Gathering Writer Data

Context:
Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
Writer Name: System Writer
Writer Instance ID: {2d415d0f-ea1a-4fe8-b8b4-136a4853515a}

Faulting application name: msiexec.exe, version: 5.0.7000.0, time stamp: 0x49431c33
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7000.0, time stamp: 0x49433e67
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0007f6d6
Faulting process id: 0x8b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01c97a7f423c74ac
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 80ac3063-e672-11dd-a95f-0016765aeddd

Any help is appreciated.

thx

I deleted SASDIFSV and SASKUTIL from registry. All of the above issues are now gone. My PC still takes about 4 mins to boot. Any ideas why?

thx

Edited by bruinator, 19 January 2009 - 06:26 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:59 PM

Click on the Start button
Type "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

As for the Volume Shadow Copy service errors - have you had a virus infection on this system that was removed?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:18 PM

Click on the Start button
Type "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

As for the Volume Shadow Copy service errors - have you had a virus infection on this system that was removed?

Ok, I ran the report and received the output. What am I looking for now please? i once had a virus on the PC about 3 formats ago. The OS that was on this PC prior to win 7 was clean as per Kaspersky full scan, malwarebyes full scan and super anti spyware pro full scan.

thanks

Here are the results. Let me know if you need more from it and under what section.

Warnings

Error

Symptom: A service is reported as having an unexpected error code
Cause: One or more services has failed. The service did not stop gracefully, suggesting the service may have crashed or one of its components stopped in an unsupported way.
Details: Service exited with code not equal to 0 or 1077
Resolution: Restart the service
Related: Performance Diagnosis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symptom: Device drivers are not installed.
Cause: A driver has not been installed for this device preventing it from working properly.
Details: The device driver for IPMI Interface has not been installed. This device will not be available until the correct device driver is installed.
Resolution: 1. Try installing the drivers using Windows Update.
2. Install the drivers that are on the installation media that came with the device.
3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.
Related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symptom: Device drivers are not installed.
Cause: A driver has not been installed for this device preventing it from working properly.
Details: The device driver for PCI Serial Port has not been installed. This device will not be available until the correct device driver is installed.
Resolution: 1. Try installing the drivers using Windows Update.
2. Install the drivers that are on the installation media that came with the device.
3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.
Related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager

Informational

Symptom: The Security Center reports that User Access Control is disabled.
Cause: User Access Control is disabled. It is highly recommended that you run Vista with User Access Control enabled.
Resolution: Enable User Access Control using the Security Center.
Related: User Acess Control

Basic System Checks

Tests Result Description
OS Checks Passed Checks for attributes of the operating system
Test Groups Tests Failed Description
OS Version Check 1 0 Passed

Disk Checks Passed Checks for disk status
SMART Predict Failure Check 1 0 Passed
Logical Disk Dirty Bit Check 1 0 Passed

Security Center Tests Failed Checks for state of Security Center related information.
Check that Anti-Spyware Product is up-to-date. 1 0 Passed
Check for Anti-Spyware Product that is enabled. 1 0 Passed
Check that Anti-Virus Product is up-to-date. 1 0 Passed
Check for Anti-Virus Product with on access scanning enabled. 1 0 Passed
User Account Control Enabled Check 1 1 Failed
Windows Update Enabled Check 1 0 Passed

System Service Checks Failed Checks for state of system services
Abnormally Terminated Services Check 1 1 Failed
Workstation Service Check 1 0 Passed

Hardware Device and Driver Checks Failed Survey of Windows Management Infrastructure supported devices.

Edited by bruinator, 19 January 2009 - 08:22 PM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

There should be information as to which service is stopped.

The multiple instances of device drivers not being installed are most likely a large part of the problem.
Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Look for any devices with red x's or yellow !'s and let us know what they are.

#15 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:42 PM

Ok, Under other devices there is 2 entries of "IPMI interfaces" and "PCI serial Port" with yellow ! point next to them. How would I go abouts fixing this please? I appreciate your help. Should I click on each one and click update driver?

My mobo is a D945GTP. I am told the drivers are the same as vista 32 bit for win 7 so should I try those? If you could take your best guess? I appreciate help with it. Would it be number 3 on this page where it says chipset????? If not, what other ones do I need to d/l between 3-10?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...4&submit=Go

thx

Edited by bruinator, 20 January 2009 - 12:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users