Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to upgrade processor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andur

Andur

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

Not long ago I had a problem running some of my games. After doing multiple steps including upgrading my ram to 3GBs, I realized a new processor was in order.
The computer itself is a Windows XP, HP Pavilion model a1410n, with an AMD Athlon 3800+ 986MHz.
I'm looking to get a duel-core, like the AMD Athlon 64 X2 2 GHz Processor, but I don't know if my computer can support this processor.
Can anyone help me determine if a processor like this is compatible with my computer, or what processor I can upgrade to?
If I'm missing any information like motherboard or power supply, please let me know how I can find out what they are, because I don't know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:44 PM

Download and run CPU-Z. It will tell you what CPU socket/motherboard you have.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:29 AM

CPU-Z

You'll see the download link, for the latest version (CPU-Z 1.49), at the top left.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:59 AM

According to your specs at HP, your PC runs a socket 939 processor which is becoming more and more difficult to find. Your motherboard is an Asus A8N-LA rebranded for HP/Compaq as the Nagami-GL8E. You can get an Athlon 64 X2 processor, but I would not go much past the 4800 due to compatibility issues.

HP - Motherboard Specifications, A8N-LA (Nagami)

3939.png

#5 Andur

Andur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:09 AM

I was thinking I would get another 3800+ since that's the one I have now, and figured it might be compatible with my system.
I'm guessing though that if its becoming harder to find I should go with ordering online, I'll look around and see if I can find the right one.
Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users