Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

harddrive problems?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 pleaforpeace

pleaforpeace

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

Hi , A little over a month ago i purchased a new HD. Recently, my new HD has not been working properly because after the windows xp loading page, a pop up says 'winlogon.exe - bad image.' It also has a description saying something is not a recognized image. Weird thing is that one morning i turned on my comp and this happened. I did not download or change anything the the previous day.

So since i cannot use my new HD i plugged in my old one back in. It was working fine then all of a sudden i was watching a youtube video, it just randomly restarted. I thought maybe it was the video so i told a few of my friends to watch it. It did not crash any of their comps. So i thought maybe it was just a normal freeze/crash. But the next few days i started randomly freezing and restarting again. The BSOD page flashes for one second then my comp restarts. When it restarts and get to the windows xp page, sometimes it would restart again during the windows xp page too. My firefox also crashes a lot too.

I do not think i have any viruses because i did not download anything and this just happened all of a sudden but i could be wrong.

My Specs:
Intel e8400
Crucial ballistix 2 x 1gb
gigabyte ep35 ds3l
ocz stealths 650 watt Power supply
antec 900 case
ATI 4850 hd video card
New HD : seagate 500 gb 32 mb cache sata
Old Hd seagate 200 gb IDE

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

you can check event viewer (right click my computer --> manage) for clues , read write errors
check connections on motherboard and drives are ok as you may have bumped something when you changed drives. while you are at it make sure ram is seated properly.
if all is good get seatools from seagates site to check drive

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

Are your Replacing your existing HDD with the SATA drive? Does this drive contain your OS? Did you do a fresh install of the OS on the new drive with installing the SATA drivers at the proper time?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 pleaforpeace

pleaforpeace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:41 AM

Yeah, im replacing my existing HDD with the sata one. I did install OS on the new HDD. It was working for a few weeks then all of a sudden, i couldnt get to my desktop.

#5 Jabberfassy

Jabberfassy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:59 AM

Yeah, im replacing my existing HDD with the sata one. I did install OS on the new HDD. It was working for a few weeks then all of a sudden, i couldnt get to my desktop.

If you suspect this problem is with your (new) hard drive, have you tried a CHKDSK yet?
If not, I'd recommend opening a command prompt, then typing CHKDSK /R and reboot your computer.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:14 PM

FWIW: Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

This may allow you to properly view the error message which is generated. Error messages generally contain clues to what the system views as a problem.

If you have Windows System Restore enabled, you might try going back to a restore point existent before problems started.

Louis

#7 pleaforpeace

pleaforpeace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

oops

Edited by pleaforpeace, 20 January 2009 - 05:23 PM.

#8 pleaforpeace

pleaforpeace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

If you suspect this problem is with your (new) hard drive, have you tried a CHKDSK yet?
If not, I'd recommend opening a command prompt, then typing CHKDSK /R and reboot your computer.

It's my old HDD that keeps freezing then restarting. My new HDD, after the windows xp loading page, pops up a message that says 'winlogon.exe - bad image ' the it says something is not a valid image please check your instalation disc'

#9 pleaforpeace

pleaforpeace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

FWIW: Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

This may allow you to properly view the error message which is generated. Error messages generally contain clues to what the system views as a problem.

If you have Windows System Restore enabled, you might try going back to a restore point existent before problems started.

Louis

yeah i tried system restore and same problem.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

FWIW: Well, the bad news is that many, if not most, of the references I dig into on "bad image" error messages...are malware-oriented.

That may be meaningful, then again it could just indicate user-frustration at inability get a handle on such.

Louis

#11 pleaforpeace

pleaforpeace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:04 PM

oh ok thanks

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:43 AM

Might try a reinstall. Are you using a Factory Windows Xp Cd or using an ISO image of a HDD?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#13 pleaforpeace

pleaforpeace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

Whats ISO image of a HDD? im using my freinds xp disc which he dled.

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:13 PM

That may be the problem.You should go to Microsoft.com and using your licensing key order a new copy of Windows XP. Also I will advise a Moderator to review this topic. It may be closed. As It may be a violation of our board rules since you don't have a Legal copy. Do You have a Valid Licensing Key?

Edit: Added question about the key

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 January 2009 - 06:15 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#15 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

And the copy of XP was downloaded from where?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users