Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless card

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:39 PM

i need a wireless card for my laptop but i dont know what to look for when getting one. what is this wireless "b" and "g" or something like that? also what brands are good and what brands to stay from.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:01 PM

g is newer and faster. It is also backwards compatible with b. It's usually a few bucks more but worth it, IMHO. Are you going with the type that uses the PCMCIA slot?

Linksys usually gets the highest marks, but I've had some that failed within a year, including the wireless router that lost its RF ability, though the cabled computers still worked. I've had a PCI wireless card fail, too. I've been using Blitzz for a couple of years but they don't seem to have the range of the Linksys. We also currently have a Linksys PCMCIA that's been working for a couple of years with no problems.

#3 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:02 AM

what is PCI and PCMCIA?

i found a wireless g by airlink at frys for like $13. anyone ever had problems with airlink? i dont know if its any good but i figured for $13 it cant hurt to try it. it wont break my computer or anything right? it just cant seem to pick up as good though so i might return it.
im at school and i need something that has a pretty good range so i can go outside and still get signal. is there a way to increase your range or anything like that?

#4 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:03 AM

what is PCI and PCMCIA?

i found a wireless g by airlink at frys for like $13. anyone ever had problems with airlink? i dont know if its any good but i figured for $13 it cant hurt to try it. it wont break my computer or anything right? it just cant seem to pick up as good though so i might return it.
im at school and i need something that has a pretty good range so i can go outside and still get signal. is there a way to increase your range or anything like that?

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:04 PM

PCI is the type of slot in a tower/desktop computer for add-on cards.
PCMCIA is the type of slot in the side of a laptop where you slide in accessorie cards like network adaptors, modems, hard drives, etc. The add-on cards look like a thick credit card.
If you have a laptop you need the PCMCIA type. (or is that called Cardbus these days?)

is there a way to increase your range or anything like that?

There is a new standard for wireless networking coming up which will take over from 'b' and 'g'. The new standard is 'n' but it has not been formalised yet. In the meantime manufacturers are releasing 'pre-n' devices which are supposed to have 10X the range of 'b' and 'g' devices. Each manufacturer calls them something different like "MIMO" or "RangeMax". They are backward compatible with 'b' and 'g'.

Let us know how you go.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:07 PM

linksys has that MIMO and they call it SRX...i wonder if you need the card and the router to be SRX to really benfit from it...what if i just buy the card with srx? will that get me better connection?

what or who determines the range of your wireless? is the router or the card or both? im at school so i cant really do anything about the router

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 05 June 2005 - 03:42 AM

Good questions, check out the blurb for the particular product your looking at, at the manufacturers site. Then you will know as much about it as I do.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users