Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best way to merge your computer and television?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dbutze

dbutze

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:15 PM

I would like to just drop my Expensive dish network bill and just connect my PC or laptop to my TV. What is the best/least costly way to do this? I don't want to have an HDMI cable sticking out of the back of my TV and running to my furniture. That's just a bit cheesy I think...

Is my best option to keep my PC inside my entertainment center and just buy a wireless keyboard and mouse? Or can I merge it a little more gracefully like an Apple TV-like solution?

Let me know what you think has worked well, OR if you've heard of anything new coming out!

Thanks!
Dbutze

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

The "BEST" way would be to move your Computer close to your TV and use a HDMI cable to connect the two and get a wireless keyboard. Another option would be a SLING BOX. I have not researched these much but they have had pretty good coverage on Cnet.com. If you are getting rid of your Dish network how do you plan on receiving broadcast channels? You may have to invest in a Tuner card. Also as you may have noticed in February the contry is going all digital and if your TV is not digital (wich I assume it is since you mentioned HDMI) you will need a converter for the TV. You can always run the HDMI cable from your Computer to the TV cable stretches as long as 30ft are not unheard of and you won't need and expensive cable either. There should be a gap between the carpet and the wall that should allow you to hide the cable. If you have hardwood floors this could be a problem.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users