Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway laptop gets no consistent connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dbutze

dbutze

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

What a great website. I just registered but I have already found what a great resource this is! I want to say that I am more experienced than your average person but I am by no means an expert. So I will apologize in advance if I don't come across as crystal clear.

I own a:
Gateway laptop Gateway Laptop
MX6433
AMD Turion 64 mobile
Technology ML-30
1.59 GHz, 448 MB of RAM

My problem is I cannot connect to any wireless network reliably. I can stay on an individual web page for as long as I want but it seems that when I start surfing I get disconnected. I Mostly use Firefox, but also IE and Chrome.

When I get disconnected, There are no longer any wireless networks recognized. and when I right-click the system tray icon to "repair" it freezes and I have to reboot.

I have had Best Buy's Geek Squad look at the driver that seems to be fine. Someone suggest I try Open DNS, which I tried, but I'm still not quite sure I understand it. I have tried using a wireless adapter but the problem remained. I have reformatted my hard drive (twice). I also tried renewing my IP address, among maybe some other things that I have forgotten.

What are the next steps to take to resolve this? Can I run some kind of analysis for you to look at? I have owned it for approx 2 years, but it has been ongoing (but getting worse) since approx. 6 months after purchase. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kandinsky

Kandinsky

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:24 AM

just a few wild guesses you've probley worked out already. Did you go through "services" to see if any updates to them conflict with your connection?

And do you have a firewall that might show you all connections to the internet? Like free zone alarm or something? I had very slow dial up and a lot of disconnects & found there is some malware on my computer that is sending and receiving and that is disrupting my connections. 4 antivirus programs tryed one after another couldn't find anything, but it's there. Can see it working in the firewall.

Another thing that could possibly interfere is netwaiting or another telephone call waiting program or fax, or parts of one left after an uninstall. It's possible the internet connection part of one of those could close any connection not just dial up. They can be very buggy.

Another possibility is you might have too many program auto updates starting up at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users