Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VX2 and popups won't go away....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:05 AM

I sure hope someone here can help me. I've tried another forum with no luck at all. After reading some of the posts and replies here, I'm sure this is where I should have started, if only I had known...
Well, when I boot the computer, I am at 60-63% resources.
I have almost every program available and nothing has gotten rid of my problems.
I get popups whether IE is open or not and I shouldn't get any at all.
I am in dire straits here to get rid of VX2 once and for all and all that goes with it.
Here's the necessary info you probably need.

Sony VAIO Desktop System
Windows ME
IE with Google Toolbar (popup killer included)
Spyware Doctor
Spyware Blaster
Spy Sweeper
AdAware
HiJackThis
Hoster
VX2Finder
Spybot S&D
CWShredder

I think that's everything. All of my programs are up-to-date also. Please tell me how I can get rid of this annoying pest once and for all.

~67~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:12 AM

Posted Image

we can get rid of thoe offline popups with this prgram!

http://grc.com/freepopular.htm

Download Shoot the messenger and Unplug and pray, they work automaticly all you have to do is press disable!

Can you open your task bar and see hoe many running task you have going? It could be alot of tasks running in the background or it could be a hijack! Post back and let me know!

#3 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:17 AM

Also Looking further inot this it looks like the only way to get rid of VX2 is to do a hijack this log! You can download the lates version from Here

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a reply to this post here and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

Please pst the log in this forum located Here

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:08 PM

If you haven't updated to the newer version of Ad-aware, they have a VX2 Cleaner plug-in available here.

From Lavasoft (Ad-aware):

Lavasoftís new plug-in VX2 Cleaner detects the malware VX2 and offers you the ability to remove it from your computer. Some users have experienced a very difficult variant of VX2 which cannot be removed by Ad-aware. For those users which have this variant, we have developed a plug-in to help you remove this VX2 variant.

This VX2 variant registers itself in a way, which gives it system privileges. It also prevents the user from viewing this information by removing the userís rights to do so. Furthermore it constantly monitors the registry and prevents any attempts to remove its associated values. This makes it very difficult for the user to manually remove it.

The VX2 Cleaner works with all editions of Ad-Aware 6 build 181.

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 05:00 PM

I've posted my HJT log in the appropriate place as you stated. Also, I do have the newest update to AdAware and I also have the plug in. I guess I have the variant that doesn't want to let go. So, where's the plug in I can get to remove it?
For the record, I'm so happy to be a member here. The other forum I tried STINKS. Thanks to everyone helping me thus far (and in the future).

~67~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users