Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router not recognized

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KarenRose

KarenRose

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:41 PM

Hey all! Hoping someone can help me, this computer has me FRIED!!!!
Had to reinstall win xp cuz of a virus (Thanks for all your help extremeboy!), and now I can't figure out how to get my network set up again! The cable is working, cuz my phone & wireless router is working (on the laptop now), but the desktop that is hard-wired to the router is not recognizing anything. "Network connections" is absolutely empty. "Ethernet controller" in device manager has yellow ? and !, and "unknown" and "unknown.

Downloaded a driver for the D-Link 524 router (bin file) but cant get it into the device manager.
:thumbsup:

thanks guys, you rock!

Edited by KarenRose, 18 January 2009 - 04:41 PM.

:::::::::I LOVE MY MAC!::::::::::
Now if only all my friends had macs...... GRRRRR!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:41 PM

I think you need to install the drivers for your your NIC or wired ethernet connection, not your router.

The router is the intermediary distributing the signals to each computer on the network, it's working well from what you state.

But your system cannot receive/interpret the signals it's sending...until the drivers for your wired connection device are installed.

Ethernet controller, network adapter, and the like...are all names for the same device (what I call the NIC).

Do you have a CD for the drivers for your system?

Louis

#3 KarenRose

KarenRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

No, there's just an OS disc for xp. How can I find the driver online if I don't know the name of the ethernet controller, because in device manager it says "unknown"

(Thanks for helping me :thumbsup: You guys here are the BEST!!!)

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

What is the make and model of the computer?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 KarenRose

KarenRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

Its a dell xps, but that's all i know right now because I'm not there... I'll let you know tomorrow :thumbsup:

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

Hello KarenRose.

If you don't have the CD, you can usually download it from the model and the type of computer you have.

My laptop is Toshiba. At the bottom of my laptop there is a model name. If your using a desktop, it may be at the side of the computer. Not exactly sure, however.

You then need to go to your computer's website. Mine is toshiba so I will need to go to the "toshiba website". You can usually find that with a quick google. Then at that website you need to find the download location. Click on it and you will need to fill out a short "form" asking the type of computer you have and the model name etc... Then select Go and you will be brought to a page with all of the different drivers you can download.

Make sure you download the appropriate one because there are drivers for XP and Vista. If I remember correctly you were using an XP. Also you may not need to download all of them, as some are not necessary. Some of the important drivers you need to download are:

Chipset
Graphics Adapter (This may be part of the chipset)
Ethernet / LAN card
Modem
Sound Card / Sound Adapter

For my computer I went to this website: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp

On that page near the top you can see downloads. Click it and you will be presented with the "form" I was talking about that you need to fill out, but you would need to go to your own website for the type of computer you have.

Hope that helps. I need to go, so sorry for my bad computer terminology and grammatic errors. When I come back, I can explain in more details and explain it better if you have any questions. Others here can also help you as most of them know more about this stuff then I do.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 18 January 2009 - 07:30 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#7 KarenRose

KarenRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:52 PM

:thumbsup: EXTREME BOY ROCKS!!!!

Thanks for allllll your help man, the re-formatting went smoothly, and now all the drivers are cool...

EVERYTHING WORKS ON THE COMPUTER!!!

:flowers: Standing O for you guys, Louis & Mark, thanks!

Edited by KarenRose, 19 January 2009 - 12:54 PM.

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:00 PM

No Problem. :thumbsup:

Glad I could help. I went through a format/reinstall a while back ago, so that's how I know and remember.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users