Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewire 800 question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 IHateRap

IHateRap

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

This post will contain many quotes
I was having some issues with hardware I recently purchased.

Here's what I bought. I'll include links to provide further information if needed...because I'm certainly not knowledgeable with this stuff.

Glyph GT050Q external hard drive
http://www.glyphtech.com/products/gt050q.html

and...

SYBA 1394b firewire card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815124026

Here's the problem:
I was only getting firewire 400 speeds instead of 800. So I downloaded the latest drivers for the card from the manufacturers website and no change. Eventually I stumbled upon unibrain.com firewire800 drivers. At the same time, I also noticed that the card I bought was showing up in the device manager as a network card.

So, I installed the new "800" drivers and bam: full speed......but now, I couldn't get online....something to do with my pc detecting 2 "network" cards, I assume. At "400" w/manufacturer drivers everything worked...just slower 400 transfer speeds to the external HD.

Clicking around, I find "enable network bridge" or something like that. So, I highlighted "both" of my "network" cards and bridged them. Now, I get the 800 speeds and my online connection functions normally. Is this a bad way to accomplish what I want? Is there a better way to go?

Thanks.

Edited by IHateRap, 18 January 2009 - 04:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

Welcome to BleepingComputer, and I don't like rap either!

It's normal for Firewire to appear as a Network card, as it implements a network protocol and can be used for a fast peer-to-peer network.

I'm not a networking person, but it looks to me as if you've inadvertently set up a workaround by setting the Firewire to talk through the LAN card for your internet access:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/W/Windows_XP...ork_Bridge.html

I'd think if you go to Show All Connections in Connect To on the Start Menu (quoting XP), you could revert your internet connection to the LAN port, and remove the bridge. But a network expert may have more precise instructions for you.

Edited by Platypus, 18 January 2009 - 05:19 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users