Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PS Kill.exe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 obiali

obiali

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

"could not execute the external program pskill.exe"

I just recently started seeing this message recently on my desk top and usually when I let the machine run through the night. When I researched it further i found that there might be a legitimate pskill.exe program. That said, I became a bit suspicious because this morning I saw the exact message on my laptop
screen after letting it run through the night . This threw a large red flag as I had just recently replaced, reformatted and reinstalled xp on my laptop. The only plausible explanation I can come up with is one of a rouge program that monitors and lays dormant during the most active periods of use probably by using the system clock to determine the timezone accurately and then try to run while am asleep. Now my reasoning is explained above. Does any one have an alternative view?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 18 January 2009 - 02:36 PM.
Move from HiJack This forum to Am I Infected as there are no logs. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:12 PM

If pskill.exe is in this location, then you're OK. If it's located anywhere else, than you're most likely infected
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\

Do you use PS Tools from Sysinternals Utilities
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users