Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

memory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pochp

pochp

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

What's the best way of adding memory to my Windows XP?
pochp.wordpress.com
Plato on-line

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

There are two basic kinds of memory.

1) The memory on the hard-drive

2) RAM (random access memory) for quick recall

So which kind of memory are you talking about? If the first, you can free up space on the hard-drive by removing programs you don't use or removing old files to back-up drives.

If you actually want to Add more hard-drive memory, that is an issue for internal hardware. Similarly with RAM.

For both, the type of computer you have is the telling factor, not the operating system.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

Open the case and install it. I know that is the short answer, but what specifically did you wish to know?

Do you know what RAM you currently have in your computer?

Do you know what RAM you wish to purchase?

If don't know and would like to know and get a recommendation you can go to Crucial and allow them to run a scan. It is safe, accurate, and best of all free.

http://www.crucial.com/

If this is for the laptop that you have posted about previously you will need SODIMM modules.

If you provide us with the make and model I'll see what I can do about finding instruction for adding RAM to you laptop, with pictures no less!

Edited by dc3, 18 January 2009 - 11:54 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users