Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! My PC is Freezing + shuting down/restarting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tjas

tjas

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:57 AM

My computer is about 7-8 years old. A couple of weeks ago I did a "Format C" and wanted to start all over(by the way the computer was working fine before). I installed windows XP proff and Comodo firewall+ antivirus, soundblaster(soundcard). The computer worked fine. Then last week I installed a printer via a download(Hp officejet K-series). It seemed to work. But the next time I turn on the printers ON-button it wanted to install it again I ignored the request. The next day when I was surfing the internet(not any suspecious site) the computer froze.
I restarted the computer and the computer froze directly when windows opened. Restarted a couple of this and It froze earlier in the process. I got an error message saying that there maybe is something wrong with the hardware or software recently installed.

I have tried:
1. open windows in safe mode. It still freezes or automaticaly restarts after a very shorttime. In that time a have tried to remove the printer "the computer wouldn't do that". I have tried to do a system restore, while doing the restore the computer restarts/shuts down.
2.open windows in safe mode with com script, and tried C: format. the computer wouldn't do that because somehting was in process??
3.Open windows normally. Freezes or shutsdown
4.Open windows in "last setting that worked" freezes or shutsdown.
5.I have tried to boot with my windows xp disk. The computer freezes in the process. or says that there is some kind of faliure.
6.I have saved the bios to original settings
7.I did a "memtest" to see if there was a RAM-problem. But my PC passed the test.

What I observed is that the CPU temp was around 65-68 degrees while being in the BIOS. So I thought that that might be the problem. When I opened up the sides of the computer the Fanes are working. I put my computer outside and I got the CPU temp to 34 celcius. When working at that CPUtemp it seems the computer dosen't freeze as much but istead it restarts/shuts down over and over againg around the same times when it used to freeze.

I am a novice a computers. What could be wrong with my computer and what should I do?

Please help me

Edited by tjas, 18 January 2009 - 09:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tjas

tjas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:16 AM

My logic is like this:
1.If the problem is the printer, then why is the computer freezing/restarting at different stages?
2.If the problem is the the CPU temp then why dosen't the problem go away when I lowered the temp to 34 celsius?
3.If the probelm is the "power supply" then why does the computer freezes sometimes in a way where I can used the "Tabs" but not the mouse?

I have not had prolems with starting the computer. When I say it is shutting down it's really restarting.

#3 tjas

tjas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:54 AM

I opened windows in safe mode and unchecked restarting when failure. Under (control panel -> system -> advanced). Then I tried to restore the computer but before I could do that the screen went blue and it said:
STOP: c000021a {fatal system error}
THe windows substystem process teminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 {0x75e96675 0x0069f178}
the system has been shut down.

On another occasion I get STOP 0x000000F4

Edited by tjas, 18 January 2009 - 09:44 AM.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

If you can back up all your data, maybe the easiest thing to do would be reinstalling windows again.

Here's a page from microsoft about the error you mentioned though: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;156669
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 tjas

tjas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:16 PM

Thanks! But I have tried to reinstall windows. But it's shutsdown in the process of reinstalling.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

Well...computers are not expected to work perfectly for multiple years...the standard warranty covers one year. So, it seems to me that you need to consider the possibility that at least one component might just be headed for the grave.

It only takes one component to make a system unstable.

System manufacturer and model?

Amount of memory installed?

Have you run a check on the hard drive?

Have you checked the connections for the hard drive?

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2009 - 02:09 PM.

#7 tjas

tjas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

Thank you for the cleaning link. I will try to clean the computer real good tomorrow and see if that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users