Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disc Defragmentation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Reynolds531

Reynolds531

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:32 AM

Hi,

I have a slow pc & intend to de-frag my hard drive. I've looked at the tutorial on this and I'm considering doing it using a second external hard drive - a Seagate 500GB.

The tutorial says: "In order to defrag you would copy all the data off the heavily fragmented drive onto a clean spare drive. etc".

My main query is: does the data mean WORD docs, music files, videos, photos etc or does it include program files?

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:44 AM

Not sure where you are getting your info...but a partition/hard drive defrag operation normally does not entail moving anything as prep for the defrag process.

Users who have not left sufficient free space for Windows to perform the defrag operation...they may have to move files in order to permit the defrag to occur...but it's not standard procedure for ordinary performance of such task.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defragmentation

"A defragmentation program must move files around within the free space available to undo fragmentation. This is a memory intensive operation and cannot be performed on a file system with no free space."

I would amend that to state "adequate free space." A popular opinion is that there should be approximately 15% of the partition to be defragged...reflected as free space.

Louis

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:45 AM

Is your hard drive too full to run Defrag? If so, move sufficient large files such as videos off onto the external drive so that the drive has at least 15% free space. Once the remainder of the drive is defragmented, the large files will copy back unfragmented (or largely so), and this will usually be faster than defragmenting a lot of large files with Defrag.

To defragment an entire drive using the copy-back method, the entire contents of the drive must be removed, so it's not feasible to use this method for the drive or partition that contains the OS and your applications.

This is another reason to consider partitioning a drive into a smaller system/applications partition and a large data partition. The smaller system partition can be maintained relatively easily, and if you want to use the copy-back method on a heavily fragmented data partition, you can copy its entire contents to a suitable drive, run quick format on the partition and copy the files back unfragmented.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Reynolds531

Reynolds531
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for the replies.

re the source of information - it's from the Bleeping Computer Tutorials:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...al55.html#spare

- it seems to indicated the best/easiest way to de-fragment is to use a second hard drive rather than use a DeFrag tool.

Quote: "Using a spare hard drive to defragment

Probably the best way to defragment your hard drive, if it is in your budget, is to use a spare hard drive. In order to defrag you would copy all the data off the heavily fragmented drive onto a clean spare drive. You would then delete all data on the fragmented drive, and then restore that data back from the spare drive. This will then copy all the data back to the drive in a clean contiguous manner.

This method will work for any operating system."

I don't think my hard drive is too full; if it is as you say I could simply move larger files.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:43 AM

Use the external to move the larger data files like music, pictures and video, I copy first then verfiy that everything works on the other drive then delete the original files.

Program files should be not touched, leave them alone, but now is a good time to uninstall unused ones thru add/remove

Use disk cleanup also

You can backup folders like my docs that contain essential information that's not easily moved or even should be

Then defrag
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

While the reasoning behind it in the guide makes sense, you really don't have to do that
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Reynolds531

Reynolds531
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

DaChew/ garmanma,

OK thanks for the hints; the consensus seems to be to remove all data files & then de-frag.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users