Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless PCMCIA Network Card Problems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dremits

dremits

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:45 AM

Hi,

I just purchased a PCMCIA wireless network card from an online shop based in China. As far as I can tell, the make of the card is a company called 'Enjoy Technology' judging from looking at the hardware however the driver is 'Planet WL-3552 Wireless PCMCIA Card' and appears to be an up to date driver. There are two LEDs on the card one labelled 'Act' and another labelled 'Link'. The 'Act' led lit up and stayed static when I first plugged the card into the PCMCIA port and after a successful driver installation this led now flashes consistently (about twice per second). I can only assume this is what's supposed to happen. However when searching for wireless networks I get the dreaded 'No networks found' after multiple attempts, restarts, driver reinstallations, other driver upgrades etc...

The wireless router i'm using is a new Netgear WNR2000 with pretty much default settings (except settings that were configured during the router setup stages: Setting region to Europe and wireless security to WPA2-PSK). I have two other laptops with built in Wireless and they detected and connected to my network with no trouble. I have only tried the card on this laptop because I not sure how I could test it on other laptops that already have wireless built in (how would I know that it was working?).

I think that's everything but I should mention that a few months ago I wiped my laptop and reinstalled Windows XP (not using the Cds supplied by my manufacturer but instead using a stand alone Windows XP Professional Cd). Everything seems to be working and any drivers in the device manager that had the [?] icon have been installed.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users