Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some advice on computer failing to boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:09 AM

I need some advice on where to go next with this system. I have a GIGABYTE GA-M55plus-S3G motherboard with an AMD AM2 cpu which has quit booting. At the time the system died I was using the overclocking utility that came with the motherboard which runs inside windows. The utility would normally allow my 2.0 GHZ chip to run at 2.4 GHZ. Well I made the mistake of boosting it to 2.4 GHZ and then later switched to a different user account and again tried to use the utility to overclock. This time when I activated the utility it indicated the system was running at 2.8 GHZ and as soon as I thought to myself "Huh that's interesting." The system went to a blank screen and it's been dead ever since. It looks like I accidentally OC'ed to twice the acceptable range.

I tried turning it off and back on and the fans spin up and lights come on but that's it, nothing on screen and no POST beeps. I tried clearing the CMOS and again same result. At this point I am pretty sure I fried something but I am not sure what. So is there anything I am missing, any other suggestions? And if not what should I replace first? I thought it would be the CPU but I understand CPU failure is rare and I would think I would at least get a POST beep indication if it were the CPU. So now I am thinking it is likely the motherboard. Is there any way to know for sure?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:30 AM

Clear the CMOS. It's a jumper located near the batter on the board. Seems to me that the system is doing a hard start. Clearing the bios settings will correct this. I've made the mistake of doing this myself. However. My system has a dual bios chip. One fails to boot it will recopy all the data to the one that failed to boot. System will restart back to normal. Not every board has this luxury. However again Just jump over the jumpers. If you have raid setup. well. Sorry. Sometimes that may become cleared out too. if not. Then feel free to take off the side of the computer make the jumper connection to reset it then power it back on. Once you log into the system. Reset the program
Posted Image

#3 enos

enos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I did try this once but I will try it again maybe I'll try and remove the CMOS battery becuase using the jumper did not help.

#4 enos

enos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:18 PM

Well that did it, I took the CMOS battery out for a few miinutes and the computer started right up. Thanks for the suggestion.

#5 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

haha. Glad to hear that it worked out for you. sometimes removing the batter and letting it sit for a bit will clear things out for you.

I'm happy to be of service to you. Any further questions you need help with. Feel free to start a new topic. I've have served you to the best of my Knowledge.

Take care and have fun. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users