Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer "freezes" at login

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Taylorleemusic

Taylorleemusic

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:02 AM

Ok.. when I turn on the computer(XP Pro) everything acts normal until I get to the login screen. Then the computer will freeze followed by the monitor blinking several times and then everything is "back to normal" and I'm at the log in screen.. so when I login (and I'm lucky if I can) the desktop has nothing on it.. just the taskbar and maybe a few icons(not all of them) and if I click on a program the screen blinks again and nothing happens.

1. This happened from nowhere. No new hardware or software.
2. I can boot in safemode and login in as admin and none of the above problems happen.
3. All of my files can be veiwed as admin and everything on the HD seems to be there and ok.. but I'm not really sure how to be sure.. :thumbsup:

That is about as much as I know. I really hope I don't have to reinstall windows.. I have tons of files I just can't lose. I use this computer for extra work it would be helpful if I could bring it back to life and still keep everything on the HD.

Thanks in advance..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:11 AM

Hi Taylorleemusic, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Since you can get into Safe Mode try doing a System Restore, pick a date prior to this problem.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.
The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Taylorleemusic

Taylorleemusic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:18 AM

Ok.. I'm trying this now and will post back with the results... Thanks Dc3

#4 Taylorleemusic

Taylorleemusic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:47 AM

I did the restore and completed it in the admin. when I restarted it(not it safemode) all I got was a solid blue screen!! and a vicious cycle of auto restarts..

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,278 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:18 AM

Ok, let's stop the auto restarts, once this is done you should get an error message when you start next. Please post the error exactly as you see it.

Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced.

Under Startup and Recovery click on Settings, under System Failure remove the check in the box for Automatically Restart.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Taylorleemusic

Taylorleemusic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

DC3.. I stopped auto restarts and the message "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Driver-irql-not-less-or-equal. If this is the first time resart... Technical info: *** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000061,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xBA2F08C1) *** nv4_mini.sys - address Ba2f08c1 bas at ba21b000, Datestamp 436c1b3e

and dumping physical memory... :thumbsup:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,278 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:58 PM

This can be caused by a outdated or corrupted driver.

Are you using a Logitech mouse or keyboard, specifically versions 9.10 and 9.24?

What service pack do you currently have?

Look in the Device manager and see if there are any errors.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager.

#8 Taylorleemusic

Taylorleemusic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

Hey did a error check and nothing seemed wrong.. I'm not using any logitec keyboards or mouses. But the only way I can get in to device manager is in safemode and half of my stuff can't be check in safe mode.. Would an error still show up in safemode? And I have service Pack 2 installed.

#9 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:38 AM

I would suggest to first try uninstalling your video card driver from the device manager from safe mode.

#10 Taylorleemusic

Taylorleemusic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:40 AM

So far so good!! Thanks Guys!! :thumbsup: Dc3 thanks for sticking with me and thanks lowtek for the advice! I unistalled the video driver and as far as I can tell everything is ok.. (I may be back though). Now my only question is since its running fine without the driver do I need it? Would it be a problem to leave it as is... Well thanks I am gratefull to this site. I'm a basic try to fix it and screw it up kinda guy when it comes to computers, ha! :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users