Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am connected to the internet but cannot get on the internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tweetypye

tweetypye

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:09 AM

Hi all

My desktop computer recently crashed. I did a system restore but now I cannot access the internet. I am running windows xp on the desktop, have a cable modem and a linksys wireless router. My desktop shows I am on the internet but I cannot pull up any web pages. The wireless laptops are working off the router so I don't think the problem is with the cable modem or the linksys router. I just seem to be missing a link on my desktop. I have exhaused all troubleshooting on the computer. Called my cable provider twice and they were not helpful as well. Hope someone has an idea what I can do next.

Thanks all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:58 AM

I have exhaused all troubleshooting on the computer. Called my cable provider twice and they were not helpful as well

• Could you mention what you have already done? Then we can try what you have not done yet.

• Please also give he following information:

* Your Service Pack version.
    * Your IE version.
    * Are you also having Firefox or any other Internet browser on your computer?
    * Are you just not able to open web pages or you have no connection at all. Can you run a program and update it?
    * Any idea why the computer crashed?
    * Is you computer clean from malware?
    * Do you have a firewall (other than Windows)?

#3 Graadoo

Graadoo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

Dude, I just went through this not two days ago. I am not saying that this is the fix but my set up and problem were identical. Anyway, you will still have to get some help because I don't remember all of the codes and commands but the tech folks from my service provider walked me through (after hours on the phone trying everything else) a reset on my ether net card through the DOS programing. Hope this helps you at least take the next step. Back to my newest problem now. Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users