Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"dangerous" registry editing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crimlair

crimlair

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

Hi, I'm just curious.

Lots of people have already warned against messing with the Registry, and I'm fully aware that it's dangerous to mess around there without a clue of what you're doing. But exactly, what can happen?

I know for a fact that the Registry contains the configuration settings of a system, but it also contains many unused files that eat up space and can slow down the computer. So a user who may more or less know something about the registry can delete files they know aren't usable anymore right? Then it's not exactly as off limits as it is to the more experienced users. But some of the more knowledgeable users themselves mention it as though it's taboo and should never ever be even touched.

Warnings piled on top of warnings without exactly knowing "why" it's a warning can be dangerous in itself too you know...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:09 AM

Best case scenario: nothing happens
Worst case scenario: you've got an expensive doorstop

Check out this article:
XP Fixes Myth #1: Registry Cleaners
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:56 AM

It's like most high tech things. If you don't know what you are doing, the odds are you will do more damage than good. IMHO the registry is no place for a untrained person. I takes a lot of study,training and good old hands on with a person who knows what their doing.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

If you have a computer and you don't care what happens to it, by all means start banging away
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 crimlair

crimlair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

If you have a computer and you don't care what happens to it, by all means start banging away

I do have a computer and I care what happens to it, which is why I want to know about the Registry. But even caring enough doesn't exactly entail one to be in complete ignorance of the unknown, doesn't it?

...Registry = danger...for the inexperienced. Is that it? :thumbsup:

#6 crimlair

crimlair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:04 AM

Let me emphasize my point:
The tendency is, if I were someone "inexperienced" and I've heard a lot about the risk/dangers of registry editing, the next thing I'd do when I get the chance is to run "regedit" and look around the Registry until I come to the realization about what really makes this risky deed so taboo.

And besides, there's lots of tutorials and links educating users indiscriminately about "how to edit the registry" to fix certain problems. That kind of nulls the whole effect of the taboo...somewhat.

#7 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:35 AM

And besides, there's lots of tutorials and links educating users indiscriminately about "how to edit the registry" to fix certain problems. That kind of nulls the whole effect of the taboo...somewhat.

It's not a question of it being taboo. It's a question of it being safe or not. The registry is a complicated machine. It is the soul of the OS. One wrong move, one wrong delete, and you have a doorstop, or an unbootable machine. Even a regedit backup won't save you if you can't boot. The risk is even higher for automated tools. The article tg1911 linked to, really says it well. They do more harm than good. Even if the registry was bloated with empty sections, it wouldn't affect performance in a noticeable way. For it to slow down the system in any noticeable way, it'd have to be seriously messed up. Not just with time, but intentionally.

But if you want to learn about the registry, the best way to do that, is to research. But be prepared, I don't know anyone that knows the registry well enough to answer every question. It's the most complex part of the OS.

MS Article - Windows registry information for advanced users
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 crimlair

crimlair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:23 AM

So, in short, dealing with the Registry is like walking on tripwire... :thumbsup: I think that's what makes it mysterious to some extent... fascinating, even, but risky.

As I'll quote from the link of Galadriel's:
Use Registry Editor
Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

Fair enough.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:02 PM

Demystifying the Windows Registry

Understanding and knowing how to backup the Registry is an important part of keeping your computer secure and running efficiently. It must be stressed that modifying any portion of the Registry should be done with the utmost care as incorrect usage of the Registry could make your computer inoperable.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users