Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Drive Operating Slowly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KSB27

KSB27

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:17 PM

I'm a first time user/poster to BleepingComputer.com so I apologize for anything amateur I pull off. I heard about this site and I thought I may as well post a forums on my recent problem. My CD/DVD writer is operating at an unbelievably slow speed. I tested it on some of my unscratched DVDs and it takes about 50 mins. to read it and 1 hour, 30 mins. to write it. DVDs also lag when they are being played. The software I use is DVD Fab Platinum (burning with the VSO engine that comes included) This is a recent problem, prior to it my drive could do about anything in about 15-20 mins. How can I resolve this problem?

Solutions I've already tried:
-Cleaning out my temp. files and junk files using CCleaner
-Defragmenting my C drive
-Changing the settings of my software
-Trying multiple DVDs and CDs
-I've heard some things about something called DMA and PIO modes and I looked into it but am having trouble with it so if this could be the possible solution please explain it thoroughly and with simple terms because I don't think I'm that good with computers.

System Specs:
-An HP a1220n
-512mb of RAM
-A 516 Intel Pentium 4 processor
-16x Sony DVD-5 (testing burning)
-A DVD+-R, DVD+-RW, Lightscribe drive (not sure of max speed but possibly 24x)

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

Edited by KSB27, 17 January 2009 - 11:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:20 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

To check whether DMA mode or PIO mode is being currently applied to your drive:

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc (this gets you into Device Manager).

Scroll down to IDE/ATA ATAPI Controllers. The controllers for hard drives and optical drives which are attached directly to the motherboard will be reflected. Each system normally supports at least 2 channels, a primary and a secondary. Each channel can support two devices and these devices are connected by the IDE cable.

If you right-click on any channel and select Properties/Advanced tab...you can see the two devices the channel reflecting your connection to the CD/DVD drive...and select Properties/Advanced Settings tab...you will see Device 0 (the device on the end connector of the cable) and Device 1 (the device on the "middle" connector).

You will also see the current transfer mode for each device. The current transfer mode for each device should reflect a given DMA level. On my systems, a hard drive is reflected as DMA 5 or DMA 6, while an optical drive (CD/DVD) is reflected as DMA-something (it varies).

If a drive of any sort is not connected and you have an empty connector, you will see "not applicable" in the Current Transfer Mode box.

PIO is an older transfer rate which used to be applied when drives were slower. On today's systems, one should not expect to see PIO mode reflected for any device attached.

But...at times, a system will revert to PIO mode for devices...for various reasons. This is treated as something that needs to be corrected, since the result is that devices do not function at their expected potentials.

There are solutions to this, regardless of why it happens.

I use the solution at Getting back to DMA mode in Windows XP - http://sniptools.com/tipstricks/getting-ba...e-in-windows-xp. This solution involves editing the registry manually, which I feel comfortable doing, at this point in my computer experiences.

But...there are other approaches (none of which I have tried): DMA reverts to PIO Windows Problem Solver - http://winhlp.com/node/10

FWIW: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...hp/t110872.html

Someone may know of simpler fixes, but these are the two which I've come across.

If you intend to do the edit of the registry, I urge you to take all necessary precautions before doing so and be aware that making registry edits that are incorrect...can have adverse impacts on your system's ability to function properly.

Louis

#3 KSB27

KSB27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

Ok, so I go into my IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers through device manager and I find 2 Intel ATA storage controllers, 2 primary IDE channels, and 2 secondary IDE channels. In the first Primary IDE channel it is 'DMA Mode if Available' and in 'Ultra DMA Mode.' For my second primary ide channel it is set to 'DMA if available' but in PIO mode and this is probably the cause. How can I fix this with doing anything radical or potentially harming to my computer or it's ability to function.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users