Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IS FAT32 MASTER INCOMPATABLE WITH NTFS SLAVE?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vegassounder

vegassounder

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

Gentlemen, what am I missing here?
The problem: Corrupted MBR on my XP PRO desktop.
Went to use the recovery console but discovered my ex-roommate apparently walked of with it.
Steps I've taken so far:
1- Downloaded RECUVA application to my WIN98SE desktop.
2- Installed the XP HDD as slave.
3- Setup assigns 98 HDD as drive 0 and XP HDD as drive 1
4- Windows sets master to C:, DVD to D:, CD to E: but doesn't recognize the SLAVE.
5- Tried all combinations of jumper settings with no luck.
NOTE: MASTER is 80gig Western Digital and SLAVE is 20 gig Quantum.
Is it simply that the FAT32 MASTER can not recognize the NTFS SLAVE? And, if so, is there any work around that I can employ?
Thanks so much in advance for any advice.
CHUCK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

Unfortunately, Windows 98 cannot read an NTFS partiton at all.
You will need to install the XP drive into another XP system in order to be able to read it
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 vegassounder

vegassounder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for the conformation EYESEE
CHUCK

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

if you just want to recover files and not rebuild the master boot record another option would be a bootable linux cd.
ubuntu or knoppix live cd. will read both ntfs and fat32 so you could move the ntfs files to the fat32 drive

#5 vegassounder

vegassounder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:24 PM

I have OPEN LINUX software from Caldera which I've never used. So I erased and re-formated a used Maxtor HDD and tried installing LINUX with no luck. I then used explorer to see what was on the LINUX CD but could not find UBUNTO or KNOPPIX anywhere. I bought the LINUX program over 10 years ago. Is this the problem, and is there a web site where I can download what I need?
Thanks for any advice
Chuck

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:03 AM

A Knoppix Live CD would probably be best in line with file recovery:

http://www.knoppix.net/

Ubuntu is more tailored for a workstation installation not too uncomfortably unlike Windows:

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Your Caldera Open Linux is even older than the Win98SE that couldn't help, so it's no surprise that it also would be little help.

Another possibility to try is an NTFS reader for your Win98 system:

http://www.diskinternals.com/products/ntfs-reader/

Are you sure the problem with the XP system is a corrupted MBR? If the CD is missing so you can't use the Recovery Console, how are you going to restore that system even if you are able to recover data files using Linux etc?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 vegassounder

vegassounder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:06 PM

Thanks so much for the info.
At this point I simply need to recover my CAD files so I can complete a project I've contracted in a timely manner. Once the project is delivered I'll have the funds to re-purchase XP software.

#8 vegassounder

vegassounder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

I went to the DiskInternals web site and downloaded NTFS Reader for WIN98 but when I tried to run it got error that a dll was missing. Un-installed and tried downloading again and Acrobat acts as if it is already stored on my system. START/FIND listed it in C:\programs and TEMP files. Deleated from there and emptied Recycle bin just to be sure. Settings/Add/Remove programs doesn't list it nor is it listed anywhere in Explorer. Tried download again with same result. Ran REG CURE in case my MBR was corrupted. It found 14 errors and corrected them. Tried download once more with same result. I am now concerned a virus may be infecting my machine so I will not reboot until I can figure out whats going on. Any advice will me much appreciated.

#9 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

stab in the dark

maybe the ntfs reader expects to find a windows dll that is missing from your system
get missing dll at http://www.dll-files.com/

also i don't get the Acrobat thing. are you confusing acrobat reader with ntfs reader?

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

A pity they don't warn us about that on the download site. It appears to have dependency on 3 files that aren't normally found in Win98, seems you'd need to install .NET to use it.

Like caperdog, I don't understand the reference to Adobe.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 vegassounder

vegassounder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

Sorry gentlemen, my bad. Whenever I download schematics/drawings Adobe displays them so I assumed that was where all downloads were temporarily stored until installed. I've contacted a friend in another State who has agreed to burn me a copy of XP so I will have the Recovery Console to attempt correcting my MBR. Want to thank you for taking the time to advise me. The download sites you have suggested will, no doubt, aid me in the future.
Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users