Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question on ISP download limits.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

I am on AOL unlimited so this has never cropped up for me but........

my daughter and her boyfriend have signed up for BT Home Hub (option 1) which means they have a 10GB download limit.
This is what they can afford so it's pointless anyone just saying better to have unlimited.....in an ideal world we would all have the best of everything

Can anyone here just give me an indication as to what a 10gb limit means in usage when what they would like to do is...

Obviously web browse, emailing, with photos, Facebook, using a web-cam, Windows live messenger and a bit of gameplaying.

I don't think they will be downloading music/videos (I know this must use a lot)

I know this is a hard question but what I am trying to find out is this a waste of time or will it keep them going for a reasonable usage time?
Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

10 GB should be enough if they do those things reasonably, even if they download music beside those you mentioned. But it is not enough to download many Videos. I'm not very sure but Webcam should also be used limited as it transfers many information at the same time.

To give you an idea:

Question: If they use all that limit to download photos, how many photos they can download?

Answer: It depends on the size of the photo (from a couple of 100 KB to something around 2 MB or even more). With an average size of photos being assumed 1 MB they can download 10240 photos.

#3 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:13 AM

... 1 Gb roughly equates to the following activity during one month:

Surfing and instant messaging (e.g. MSN) 4 hours a day

Email 15 a week

Email with Attachments 100 a week

Downloading songs and short video 10 a week

Listen to online radio 2 hours a week ...

http://www.comparehomebroadband.co.uk/FAQs.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users