Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help please.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Travis_C

Travis_C

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:28 AM

I ran AVG yesterday and it found 4 trojans on my computer. It stored 3 of them in the virus vault but couldn't do anything with the other. The trojans are Downloader.Istbar.6.BV and 3 Downloader.Intexp.C trojans. Since then, I ran BitDefender and it found 31 infected files, deleted 2 of them and moved the rest. A few hours after that I kept getting pop-up notices from BitDefender saying that it blocked about 15 viruses from getting into my computer within a matter of 30 minutes.

Thank you in advance to anyone can help me with this.

~ Travis

Edited by Travis_C, 24 May 2005 - 10:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:07 AM

Run these online virus scanners:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Are you using these basic security programs?
(They're all free.)

a˛ free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. a˛ fills this gap.
Ad-Aware - A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D - Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

If that doesn't help, then:

Read the pinned post in the HijackThis forum, here
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

Also read these Tutorials:
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet4 Simple Steps for removing Spyware, Hijackers, Viruses, and other Malware
How to remove a Trojan, Virus, Worms, or other Malware
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Travis_C

Travis_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:20 AM

Hi and thank you for your help;

I can't run either of the online scanners because I am currently using firefox and it doesn't support firefox in order to scan my computer. Everytime I try to run my IE it says "The page cannot be displayed" etc.

I have Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Spywareblaster and SpywareGuard.

I ran Spybot and Ad-aware and they found no immediate threats.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:58 PM

ISTbar is a PIA to get rid of, not sure about the other one you mentioned. Most automatic scanners/removers won't touch it. Your best bet is to post a HijackThis log as tg1911 has recommended and we will get you fixed up with a manual removal.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 Travis_C

Travis_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:35 PM

Okay, Thank you.

I posted my log a few hours back, Let me know if I need to post a fresh one.

~ Travis

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 02:43 PM

The Hijack Log process is explained here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s_Log-t956.html

Wait for instructions from the team member before doing any posting.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:13 PM

Yikes, Travis! I counted four antivirus and at least two firewalls. That seems to be your problem. You need to pick one of each and keep it updated. I'm going to bend the rules a bit and insert your log back to this thread. Don't fix anything with HJT unless I say so. We'll help you with what to do in just a bit.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:25:28 PM, on 5/24/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\MPS\mscifapp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender8\bdnagent.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe
C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender8\vsserv.exe
c:\progra~1\softwin\bitdef~1\bdmcon.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...rch/search.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://channels.aimtoday.com/search/aimtoolbar.jsp
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/...//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 127.0.0.1:8082
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: CNisExtBho Class - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: CNavExtBho Class - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AIM Search - {40D41A8B-D79B-43d7-99A7-9EE0F344C385} - C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\MPS\mscifapp.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] "C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDMCon] C:\PROGRA~1\Softwin\BITDEF~1\bdmcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDNewsAgent] C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender8\bdnagent.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSKAGENTEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {14B87622-7E19-4EA8-93B3-97215F77A6BC} - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/Messe...nt.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/Messe...nt.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {BD393C14-72AD-4790-A095-76522973D6B8} (CBreakshotControl Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/Bankshot.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6BF0D00-0B2A-4A75-BF7B-F385591623AF} (Solitaire Showdown Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/Solit...wn.cab31267.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Scan Server (bdss) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine (MCVSRte) - Networks Associates Technology, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MPFSERVICE.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Server (MskService) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKSrvr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - IntelŽ Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender8\vsserv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: BitDefender Communicator (XCOMM) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe" /service (file missing)

The thing about people

is they change

#8 Travis_C

Travis_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:37 PM

I have Norton and Mcafee but just a trial version of Mcafee and Norton isn't that great, all it has been doing lately is causing me problems.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Travis_C, 24 May 2005 - 06:41 PM.

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:03 PM

Didn't finish writing this before you posted, so sorry if it's a little repetitive.

OK, Travis. There is no malware showing in your log. You appear to have several security progams causing conflicts. With all of these "security suites" that include antivirus, firewalls and several other tools, it's hard to tell what exactly you have configured to run that could be conflicting--I see McAfee's firewall but not sure if Norton's is enabled, but I do see Norton and BitDefender AV's real time protections running at the same time and know that causes problems.

Which one of these antiviruses did you have installed originally? I'm not all that fond of Norton, but if you have time left on your subscription I would keep it because Norton Internet Security is notorious for being hard to uninstall. But you need to decide on one antivirus and uninstall the others. There are many reasons why this is recommended. One, all AV's are hard on resources when you run just one, so running more than one will bog your system down big time. More important is that they will work against each other and actually make your system less secure. All those warnings you are getting from BitDefender could well be the defintion files from the other AV's you have running. I don't know if you ever had ISTbar or not, that could be a definition stuck in a quarantine folder, or the actual infection quarantined. You most likely have quarantine folders full of the definitions of the other AV's. Without those definition you are unprotected against those infections.

Before you uninstall the other AV's, open the program and be sure to delete the contents of any quarantine folders.

The reason you are getting a page not found in IE is probably because of your firewall settings or some of the other privacy tools you have installed, like parental controls, ad blockers, popup blockers, etc. If it's on, turn off the SP2 Popup blocker. You need to go thru your other security applications and turn off any other blockers or tools until you get this straightened out.

Also make sure your firewall(s) are not blocking IE. Whatever firewall you decide to uninstall, be sure to disable any extra protection you have enabled and then disable the firewall itself before uninstalling. It may be better to uninstall all the firewalls and stay protected by turning on the SP2 firewall. When you get a good third party firewall installed, make sure SP2's is turned off.

Let me know what you want to do--what you want to keep-- and if you need any help with the rest. You're going to need to go thru your applications' help files. I have some experience uninstalling Norton if that's the way you want to go, but am not familiar with the others, so maybe some of our other members can help with that.

And now I see you've posted while I was writing this.

I have Norton and Mcafee but just a trial version of Mcafee and Norton isn't that great, all it has been doing lately is causing me problems.

Thank you for your help.

According to your log you've also got AVG and BitDefender installed. If you want, what I would do is uninstall all but Norton (after doing what I've described above), let me know when that's done, then we can uninstall Norton and reinstall either Bit Defender or AVG. Is Bit Defender the free version, trial, or the pay version? Or you could choose another AV.

The thing about people

is they change

#10 Travis_C

Travis_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:33 PM

I paid for Norton. AVG,BitDefender and Mcafee are just all trial versions.

I don't want to keep Norton because it is really starting to bug me lately and I guess I spent $90 for nothing. My friend told me the other day that Norton has a bunch of security holes and I guess I see that now. She also told me that BitDefender is really good so I might just delete all my other Anti-virus programs and firewalls and just pay for BitDefender.

I recently had SpyHunter and it was I guess protecting my IE but once I got rid of SpyHunter my IE stopped working..When I open it the Address bar is gone and everything.

In your opinion, If you were to start fresh with a new firewall/anti-virus program, Which would you choose or say that is best? I'm willing to spend money on a good program to keep me protected just not sure which is the best.

#11 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:31 PM

Sorry its taken so long to get back to you Travis.

I try to stay objective about AV's. Most have their strengths and weaknesses. And you are likely to have some type of problem with any of them. I ran Norton 2003 for a year and liked it OK--but it was the AV only, not a combo suite. I only changed because I didn't like Sysmantec's support and having to pay for an upgrade to the program every year or so and just wanted to try something else.

I don't know if it's accurate to say Norton has security holes--I think it is more the same type of problem Microsoft has. Like Windows, Norton (and MacAfee) is the most popular so malware writers concetrate on how to defeat them. Also, last I heard, it only updates once or twice a week unless there is a severe outbreak.

But if you want a commercial AV, from what I hear by surfing around security forums is that the two best are Nod32 and Kaspersky. I personally run KAV--they have a great detection rate and you can get updates hourly if you want. Some security experts think Nod 32 is even better, but I'm not familiar with it.

You can trial both if you want:
Nod32 Features
Download NOD32 trial version

Kaspersky Products
Kaspersky's
Trial Versions

I don't know how good Kaspersky's firewall (AntiHacker) and antispam progs are, but you can see there are some available.

I've heard some good things about BitDefender but don't know as I'd recommend it over anything else.

AVG is also very popular among forum regulars and is probably the best free alternative.

Let me know when you get the other progs uninstalled and if you want help with NIS. Also did you try turning off the SP2 popup blocker? Not sure what SpyHunter did as I wouldn't have that on my system, but it could be something else too. You may want to try to reinstall it and then check its configuration options--toogle any blockers on and off (close the program in between) and then uninstall again.

You may not get IE back. I don't think I've ever seen a repair of IE work. I did a dumb thing--uninstalled a firewall, installed SP2, then installed different firewall, and now I can't get IE to keep cookies. Ended up creating a new user account on XP just to get IE to work--also had a probelm with Windwos Media Player.

Edited by Papakid, 25 May 2005 - 12:34 PM.

The thing about people

is they change

#12 Travis_C

Travis_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:50 PM

It's okay, I'm just grateful for your help.

I just uninstalled McAfee and Bitdefender, I'm going to keep Norton until I can buy a decent firewall/anti-virus program.

I downloaded the trial version of Nod32 to test it out.

Thanks again for your help.

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:52 PM

It's okay, I'm just grateful for your help.

I just uninstalled McAfee and Bitdefender, I'm going to keep Norton until I can buy a decent firewall/anti-virus program.

I downloaded the trial version of Nod32 to test it out.

Thanks again for your help.

I think you missed an important point:

ONLY ONE AV PROGRAM CAN BE ENABLED AT THE SAME TIME. OTHERWISE YOU WILL HAVE CONFLICTS LIKE YOU DO NOW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users