Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cd/dvd drives

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wzucek1

wzucek1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

I have 2 computers, one with Vista Basic and another with Vista Home Premium. My CD/DVD rom drives do not work. In device manager they have the yellow triangle. The message is that the driver may be corrupted. I tried updating drivers and the message was " the current driver is installed". On one computer I uninstalled the CD/DVD and rebooted . If found the drive and set it up, but I still have the yellow triangle indicating an error. On the one computer I also had a 'ready boost' drive and that showed up under CD/DVD drives in device manager and it also had an error. On the Vista Basic, drive shows a ATAPI DVD C DH52C1P ATA Drive, the driver is MS cdrom dated 6/21/06 6.0.6000.16386. On the Vista Home Premium, drive shows as TSST Corp CD/DVDW TS-H652D ATA Device, driver shows as C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/cdrom.sys also MS 6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) . . . this is the one I uninstalled and reinstalled.

There may be a common thread here. My Son got 'Spore' for xmas and tried loading it on the Vista Basic but the drive didn't respond. Subsequent disks did not respond either. I thought there was a drive problem. I then let him try to load 'Spore' on my computer, and again the drive didn't respond.

Maybe it was a coincidence, I don't know. How can I get the correct drivers back and installed so that I can have use of my ROMS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:39 PM

you could try a restore point before spore.
just a thought
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

You usually don't bother with drivers as they're plug and play. Go to your Device Manager and locate the drives and remove/uninstall them and reboot the computer.
Windows should redetect them
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 wzucek1

wzucek1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:15 PM

you could try a restore point before spore.
just a thought

Thanks I will try that

You usually don't bother with drivers as they're plug and play. Go to your Device Manager and locate the drives and remove/uninstall them and reboot the computer.
Windows should redetect them

Tried it but it didn't do any good. Still the same problem.

#5 nmartin

nmartin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:10 AM

I had the same problem and flushing the upper and lower filter fixed it for me

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

I had the same problem and flushing the upper and lower filter fixed it for me

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 wzucek1

wzucek1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:44 PM

I tried a restore point and it didn't work. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, didn't work. I don't know with the "upper and lower filters" are but I will go to the microsoft site and give it a try.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

If you are going to disable the upper and lower filters this will involve making changes in the registry. Because a mistake can cause severe problems you should back up the registry before making any changes.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT
  • Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users