Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer/Internet AFTER complete system restore

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 katterm2

katterm2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:28 PM

I have a Sony Vaio desktop computer that I purchased in late 2003 or early 2004. Last year I purchased a new laptop computer and since have only used my sony vaio to play and manage music. Basically I neglected its updates, virus, and spyware protection and have not been able to use the internet on it for months because it just doesn't work...period. So I decided, since I do not use the computer for anything but music, I would completely restore the entire computer to factory settings. After backing up my music, I did so hoping for a functioning computer again. However, even though everything else seems to be functioning properly, the internet still barely works. It can get to google and search for my desired topic, however it is still EXTREMELY SLOW and usually I can't get to most websites. Any ideas how to get my computer functioning again???? Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot.

Warning: Some Internet Service Providers need specific DNS settings. You need to make sure that you know if such DNS settings are required before you make this change.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 katterm2

katterm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:06 AM

The first command, "netsh winsock reset," did not work. A message appeared claiming that the command "winsock reset" was not found.

So I skipped that step. The next command was completed.

The "obtain DNS servers automatically" button was already selected....

Still no luck....?

Any other suggestions?? I really appreciate the help...

Kevin

#4 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:28 AM

Assuming it has built in wireless, do you get the same results regardless of a wired or wireless connection?

#5 katterm2

katterm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:13 PM

No built in wireless.....

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,325 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:22 PM

You said you restored to "factory settings". If you did not wipe the drive, reformat and reinstall the OS then you may still have malware issues or a bad install of your OS.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:16 PM

Do you have the most recent drivers for your NIC. If you did as the poster above mentioned with the clean install, then the drivers are where I would start.

Also, maybe a dumb question but you aren't using the modem connection with dial-up internet instead of broadband are you?

-Nelson
-Nelson

#8 katterm2

katterm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

Yes, I only restored my computer to "factory settings." I am not really sure what that entails (I am far from computer savvy). So, If restoring my computer does not include wiping the drive, reformat and reinstalling the OS, then that was not done. If that needs to be done, could someone please assist me in that process, it would be greatly appreciated.

And no i am not using dial-up internet instead broadband...and I have no idea what my NIC is...lol.

Thanks a lot for the help so far.

Kevin

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,791 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:01 PM

And no i am not using dial-up internet instead broadband...and I have no idea what my NIC is...lol.

Just so that you can learn, what a NIC is:

A Network Interface Controller (NIC) is a hardware interface that handles and allows a network capable device access to a computer network such as the internet.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any "!", "?" or "X" symbols.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 katterm2

katterm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

I checked all of my devices and found NO "!", "?", or "X" symbols. After clicking on all of the devices, the pop up window said that all devices are working properly.....

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

You might use Event Viewer, noting the details of any errors indicating network/DCOM problems.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users